Archive through October 12, 2004

Janny Wurts Chat Area: Book Nook: Archive through October 12, 2004
   By Trys on Friday, October 08, 2004 - 11:01 am: Edit Post

Cheryl,

Tepper's later books are much more serious, in my opinion. And some of her books (after Grass) can be quite heavyhanded with their message.

As to Thomas Convenant, he would best be described as an anti-hero.

Trys

By Cheryl on Friday, October 08, 2004 - 02:44 pm: Edit Post

I really don't like depressing books though now I'm hesitant to read it but I'm sure I will get to Convenant soon.

By Trys on Friday, October 08, 2004 - 03:44 pm: Edit Post

Cheryl,

Depressing is how one might react to these books. I'd say that they are not so much depressing as they are a darker kind of fantasy. A little description of the book. Covenant is a present day man suffering from leprosy and, in my opinion, is not dealing with all that well (would be damn hard to deal with). He is drawn into another world where magic works and he wields magic through the white gold ring he wears. Most of the time he doesn't know if this other world is real or not, and so the interplay between him and the denizens of the other world are interesting... to say the least.

It is very much a story of how Covenant learns to come to grips with his altered reality and his disease and as such is not run of the mill, a quality that I like in a book.

Sandtiger,

I just ordered Summoned to Destiny on Amazon and, a recommendation from months back, Steven Erikcson's {Gardens of the Moon}. Looking forward to reading your story.

Trys

By Sandtiger on Friday, October 08, 2004 - 04:31 pm: Edit Post

Eeep. ::Blush:: Thank you Trys!

As for Erikcson, I haven't read any of his books...let me know what you think!

Sandtiger

By David Gardner on Saturday, October 09, 2004 - 01:01 am: Edit Post

I can't rate Steven Erikson highly enough, and Gardens of the Moon is an excellent book. Like Janny, though, don't expect everything to be explained straight away. :-) I was very pleased when I heard that he's got an American publisher, so now when I recommend him to people in the States they can actually get his books in their local store. I've heard he has a 10 book contract in the UK. ( 5 books in the series are published so far).

As for Thomas Covenant, Cheryl... I disliked the books. It's probably the only book I've read with an "anti-hero" protagonist, though, so it's sort of interesting just for that. You are meant to simultaneously loathe and empathise with him. I enjoyed Donaldson's Mordant's Needs books, though, and I've heard his Sci-Fi is excellent.

David.

By Cheryl on Saturday, October 09, 2004 - 05:25 am: Edit Post

Thanks David. I immediately felt sympathy for him on the first few pages but I didn't notice the anti-hero part yet. Is he a bad guy then. I can understand him being bitter about things. I need to keep reading. I do like his writing style though. I agreed with you though on another book David. George RR Martin. I did the same thing you did. Read 100 pages then put it down and never went back. I do like some of his characters but couldn't get involved in the series. I know I will be in for it now though. I do plan to go back to George RR sometime though. I haven't given up on him yet.

By Louise F on Sunday, October 10, 2004 - 06:47 pm: Edit Post

I quite liked the Thomas Covenant books. They are not an easy, light-hearted read, but they made me think, and treated the readers as if they were intellegient, which I like. So far with the new one I am getting a sense of impending doom. I can see already that things are going to get very very bad very soon. I like a book that can engage my emotions, and the Covenant books certainly do that.

I'm not sure if i would class Covenant as an anti-hero. Covenant doesn't believe in the world he is drawn to. To him it is just a dream, therefore nothing he does there is of any consequence. He's not evil, or bad, because to him it's not real and the things he does there he would not do in reality.

By Frank T Davis on Monday, October 11, 2004 - 03:07 am: Edit Post

Cheryl,
George RR is one of my favorite fantasy authors. My only complaint is that he is unable to meet deadlines. I'm hoping that book 4 of "A Song of Ice and Fire" will be published during 2005. Recall that book 3 was published in 2000 and book 4 was originally promised in 2003.
Frank

By Cheryl on Monday, October 11, 2004 - 06:35 am: Edit Post

I hear people are anxiously awaiting his new book. I hope to like him in time. I have a few others to finish but I will get to him again. I did like Bran and Jon and some other characters. I remember liking his writing so their's hope I'll still enjoy the series.

By Walt on Tuesday, October 12, 2004 - 09:20 am: Edit Post

Great timing on the heads up Louise! I recently re-read the Unbeliever series and always wondered if Linden "The Chosen" Avery would return to the Land like Covenenant did... Keep us posted on how the story goes.

In other news, just finished The Bone Doll's Twin... disturbing, but in a good way to qoute the author's son. Also finished over the weekend: Child of Prophecy! So naturally, time to start the Series over again!

-Walt