Archive through October 13, 2004

Janny Wurts Chat Area: Book Nook: Archive through October 13, 2004
   By Cheryl on Tuesday, October 12, 2004 - 09:58 am: Edit Post

I had trouble with Bone Doll's Twin. I read half of it then quit for awhile. I hope I read it again. It had a horror feel to it more then fantasy for me. I do love Arkonial though. I like to know right up front the sex of the hero or heroine though rather then tease us about it. Lynn's going to do another book for Luck In The Shadows Series I'm very happy about that.

By Neil on Tuesday, October 12, 2004 - 10:25 am: Edit Post

A little recent light reading...

The Time Traveler's Wife ~Audrey Niffenegger - nice read.

The Five People You Meet in Heaven ~ Mitch Albom (a kind of "kewer tunnel" with a lot less background story) - not too bad as well ;-).

"Traitor's knot" not too far away now!

By Memory on Tuesday, October 12, 2004 - 06:11 pm: Edit Post

Read 'The Five People You Meet in Heaven' on a friend's recommendation, and it wasn't half as sentimental or religious as I thought it was going to be. It's a nice short little book for believers and non alike.

I loved 'The Bone Doll's Twin' and 'Hidden Warrior'. I understand your pov, Cheryl, but I liked the ambiguity. Perhaps it was because I was studying the anthropology of gender at the time!

I'm reading things by Mark Chadbourn at the moment, which I'm enjoying a lot. His vision of a kind of post-apocalyptic world is a compellingly real one.

Memory

By Sandtiger on Tuesday, October 12, 2004 - 06:20 pm: Edit Post

Okay, I admit it - I like Mitch Album. He's a columnist with the Detroit Free Press (Across the river from Windsor, where I grew up) so I've been reading his work for ages and ages.

He has a nice tone to his work. I really enjoyed Tuesday's with Morrie, though I haven't read "Five People" yet.

Sandtiger

By Cheryl on Wednesday, October 13, 2004 - 08:04 am: Edit Post

I'm thinking of buying Guardians of the Moon by Stephen Erickson but I'm not sure. He's going to be at our con in Tempe and the book does look good to me. Not sure though with it being a hardback. I like to make sure I really want it before I spend more money on a book. It would be nice to have the book though for him to sign. He must have just arrived in the states and the book does look intriguing. I remember David's recommendation for him. Do you think I'd like him David? Is he fantasy or sci fi?

By Sandtiger on Wednesday, October 13, 2004 - 10:28 am: Edit Post

Hmm. Cheryl, I have a paperback copy of Guardians of the Moon.

Ah, wait the version we have in Canada might be the UK edition - not sold in the US.

I haven't started reading it yet, but it is definately Fantasy, and the first in an extended series by the looks of it.

Sandtiger

By Trys on Wednesday, October 13, 2004 - 10:58 am: Edit Post

Cheryl,

I just bought {Gardens of the Moon} based on several recommendations, both here and otherwise but don't expect to read it until I finish Zettel's Camelot book, which is a nice read so far. I bought based on the comments that the plotting is intricate and unfolds slowly. I like that in a book.

From the info about the author, Erickson is a Canadian, born in Toronto, raised in Winnipeg, spent time in the UK and is now back in Winnipeg, so to travel to AZ isn't all that far. :-)

Trys

By Cheryl on Wednesday, October 13, 2004 - 02:20 pm: Edit Post

Thanks Trys and Sandtiger. I did hear that this was going to be a big, long series like Robert Jordan type. Ten books or so. Sounds intriguing. I'll look at it again next week. They're already saying he's the next Robert Jordan or Terry Goodkind. I like the cover and their's a main guy that's a hero I like that. It will be fun to meet him.

By Trys on Wednesday, October 13, 2004 - 02:44 pm: Edit Post

Sandtiger,

I have my copy of Summoned to Destiny and have already read your story. Very, very nice!! Good job of evoking an emotional response. Can we hope there might be more stories in Fendior?

Trys

By Sandtiger on Wednesday, October 13, 2004 - 03:16 pm: Edit Post

::Blush::

Wow. That was quick, Trys!

Thank You!!!

As for more stories in Fendior - You can certainly hope. :-)

I know I have more stories there I can tell.

Sandtiger ::Still Blushing::