Archive through November 16, 2004

Janny Wurts Chat Area: Book Nook: Archive through November 16, 2004
   By Cheryl on Sunday, November 14, 2004 - 06:06 pm: Edit Post

I meant to say I got my painting today. Where did I for my painting come from lol

By Frank T Davis on Sunday, November 14, 2004 - 11:01 pm: Edit Post

One of the features that I really like about Kay's Fionavar Tapertry, or maybe it's his publisher ROC, is the inclusion of a summary of book 1 in book 2 and a summary of books one and two in book 3. Though I read book three immediately after completing book two, it was still convenient to have the summaries. I wish other authors would include this feature.
Frank

By Frank T Davis on Sunday, November 14, 2004 - 11:35 pm: Edit Post

Gang, thankyou very much for the recommendations to read Carol Burg's "Song of the Beast". I finished reading it this morning and I must say it is truly grand. It is an absolutely fantastic fantasy novel. Too bad it isn't book one of a trilogy! I am a sucker for well written love stories and this one has the added bonus in that it involves dragons. My emotions traversed the entire range while I read it. This morning my wife noted the tears flowing down my cheeks and asked what's the matter. I was reading one of the few joyful places in the book.

It had been some time since last I read a good novel involving dragons, like Weiss/Hickman and Rawn.
Frank

By Cheryl on Monday, November 15, 2004 - 07:34 am: Edit Post

Wow glad you loved Carol berg's Song of the Beast Frank I loved it too. It is a very emotional, moving story and she's worked on a sequel for it but put it aside for later I think so their's hope for a sequel to Aidan. I liked the heroine in this story and that's rare for me. It was interesting to see their relationship evolve. I thought it had more adventure then romance and I loved that about it but good romance is good too. I hope you read Transformation next that is her best to date I think though Guardians of the Keep is a winner too. I think Seyonne is her best hero so far but it's tough decision to make. I always recommend Arithon on Carol's site. grin

By Frank T Davis on Monday, November 15, 2004 - 02:54 pm: Edit Post

Cheryl,
To my knowledge I have read everything that Burg has written, wish there were more. Book 3 of the Bridge of D'Arnath, "The Soul Weaver", scheduled for Feb '05 release, should help greatly to fill the gap between the releases of TK and SF.

Glad to learn that she plans a sequel to "Song of the Beast". Maybe it will be released late spring or early summer. It could also be a grand gap filler between TK and SF. Speaking of gap fillers, maybe the upcoming releases of JV Jones and George Martin's latest will also come along about that time. And I understand that Goodkind may also have a new release about then. And I see that Friedman has three out that I've not yet ordered. They may be SF rather than F.

My wife has been reading many good mysteries that I also have on hand to read. She recently joined a mystery reading club and got ten in initial package. And she constantly picks up latest while shopping at Walmart. We have no bookstore near where we live now.

Frank

By Cheryl on Monday, November 15, 2004 - 03:16 pm: Edit Post

I'd hate to not live near a bookstore that's my home away from home. lol but ordering books from a club is fun too I've done that. Glad you read the other Berg books. I can't wait for TK I'm just anxious to get it and hope it arrives by christmas or near that time. Goodkind's is suppose to come out around January sometime and at his website is the updates for that book. I still have to finish Naked Empire I wasn't all that thrilled with it. Love his earlier ones better.

By Bruce on Monday, November 15, 2004 - 09:00 pm: Edit Post

Finished runes of Earth by Donaldson a few days, I really liked it except for the last couple of pages, a bit of s nasty cliffhanger right at the end. Next is Shadowmarch by Tad Williams.

By Cheryl on Tuesday, November 16, 2004 - 10:54 am: Edit Post

That looks like a good book The Runes of the Earth I'm thinking of reading that one first by Donaldson. I can't believe I didn't even meet him at the convention. I just ran out of time, the autograph night to meet all the authors I wanted to. I have to say I'm enjoying King of Foxes by Feist. I'm finally getting to this book and it's making me remember why I love Raymond E. Feist. I'm still waiting for Jimmy the Hand. Can't wait for that one. I think Conclave of Shadows is one of his best series. I know some didn't like King of Foxes as much but I find it I'm hooked on it so far. Maybe I just like Talon a lot.

By Kitsune on Tuesday, November 16, 2004 - 04:52 pm: Edit Post

Finished "Runes of the Earth" recently, and I was somewhat unimpressed with it. Maybe the series will pick up in the next book.

I also just finished "Shadowmarch": I really can't recommend it enough. Tad Williams is one of the two authors who passes my "hardback" test.

(Don't worry, Janny, you're the other one. I already pre-ordered Traitor's Knot from Meisha Merlin.) :-)

By skeoke on Tuesday, November 16, 2004 - 05:47 pm: Edit Post

"Runes of the Earth" is next on my list, also. I had planned on waiting until after TK, but with the delay ... I have to read something.

Of course, now I have to worry that I'll have aliantha growing in Daon Ramon! :grin:

Then on to Tad Williams.

Then, maybe, a re-read of Monte Cristo.

Then PG again?