Archive through December 23, 2004

Janny Wurts Chat Area: Book Nook: Archive through December 23, 2004
   By Cheryl on Wednesday, December 22, 2004 - 08:11 am: Edit Post

Is that the one called The Runes of the Earth? I might start reading Donaldson from that book. It looks good. I have to try these books sometime soon.

By Hunter on Wednesday, December 22, 2004 - 08:53 am: Edit Post

That's the one.

Have you read any Donaldson before? If you've not read any Covenant, I suspect (without having read this book yet) that it might not make as much sense unless you read the First and Second chronicles.

Donaldson also wrote the very strange "Gap" sci-fi series..

By Neil on Wednesday, December 22, 2004 - 09:27 am: Edit Post

I quite liked the Gap series. Never read the Convenants...

The Gap series broadened in each book ( la WoLaS), exposing the viewpoints of various factions, raising the stakes until in book 5 you kind of see things from most character's viewpoints.

Each chapter stayed firmly in the point of view of particular character.

I think he mixed his ideas with Wagner's "Nibelungen ring thing"...(he explained at the end of the first book his thinking)...one idea was the concept of 3 characters being in a "dependant triangle" and their roles changing through the story.

A bit grim sometimes...redemption tends to hurt/cost in this story...I'd recommend it.

By Janny Wurts on Wednesday, December 22, 2004 - 10:20 am: Edit Post

Crystal Soldier actually predates Agent of Change, in the historical timeline for the Liadon universe. Neither story "spoils" the other in any way - they both stand very well alone. So on the Sharon Lee and Steve Miller books, you could start with either one.

Note to Cheryl (good strong male characters).

Note to Everyone Else - (the heroines are right sharp personalities, too.)

By Walt on Wednesday, December 22, 2004 - 11:19 am: Edit Post

Let's not forget Donaldson's other duo 'Mordant's Need: The Mirror of Her Dream & A Man Rides Through. For being such a short series, it is very gripping and poignant.

By Cheryl on Wednesday, December 22, 2004 - 04:11 pm: Edit Post

I was just told by someone in Carol's group that I could start there and not be too lost. I thought it looked good and might want to read it first. Is it a prequel or a continuation of where they left off? Thanks Janny for that note. Yeah I do like the strong male heroes that's definitely worth a look then. I like a variety too as long as the heroine isn't a cry baby. lol

By Rurack on Wednesday, December 22, 2004 - 07:35 pm: Edit Post

Has anyone read C.S. Freidman's coldfire trilogy? A friend recomended it to me today and I was wondering if it was any good. I had never heard of her (him?) before and I was wondering if it was worth the read till febuary

By Cheryl on Wednesday, December 22, 2004 - 07:43 pm: Edit Post

I think she's a she. I heard it was really good by several people on line but I couldn't get into it. I tried and tried maybe I'll try again later. I hear it starts off slow then gets good. I just don't have patience I guess. I hear it is really good though.

By Cheryl on Thursday, December 23, 2004 - 09:56 am: Edit Post

I'm near the end of Raymond E. Feist's King of Foxes. I've enjoyed it so far but I'm at a part that I'm skipping. Spoiler here for King of Foxes:

When Tal gets his hand cut off and he's in that prison it's turning me off the book. I'm still going to finish it but I skipped a few pages. I get too squeamish I guess as I get older. I know they have to go through hardships but some or worse then others. It reminds me of a movie I once hated called Papillon or something. I hate prison stuff, next he'll be eating bugs gross. grin I know Carol Berg did that torture stuff pretty good in her book and the slavery part was pretty hard to read. Still a good read though. I've been reading fantasy so long but some scenes do bother me and I skip them. I wonder if anyone else gets turned off sometimes by too much torture or slavery.

By Janny Wurts on Thursday, December 23, 2004 - 11:26 am: Edit Post

Friedman's Coldfire trilogy - if you can get through the wrenching horror of the start and bear with it for a while - trust my take - it develops into one of the finest, most intricate puzzles as to what makes a hero....well worth the read, I felt.
BUT I admit, I failed to get through the beginning not once, but several times. Shudder.

Cheryl - Lee and Miller's heroines are NOT crybabies. (laughing at the mere thought! since they're anything But)

The Donaldson duology (A Man Rides Through) is, in my take, my favorite of his works....though it truly blossoms in the second half. In fact, the second half was explosively cool.