Archive through January 08, 2005

Janny Wurts Chat Area: Book Nook: Archive through January 08, 2005
   By Cheryl on Thursday, December 23, 2004 - 12:01 pm: Edit Post

Oh I know you wouldn't like any heroine like that Janny. grin I just remember the way heroines use to be I'm glad they've gotten stronger over the years. I wish I'd met Stephen Donaldson at the convention. I bought Lord Foul's Bane so he could sign it then I never did see him. That autograph session was such a rush to find my authors to find then I ran out of time to meet him. Hopefully I'll see him at another convention.

By Shadow on Sunday, December 26, 2004 - 09:41 pm: Edit Post

Really good book I read a short time ago, that might not be known to a lot of people is The Gift by Alison Croggon.

Croggon is an Australian author, and this is the first of a fantasy trilogy (the sequel, The Riddle has just been released). Croggon in a first time novelist, and a very talented one.
http://www.alisoncroggon.com/

Also a long time fan of Garth Nix and his Old Kingdom trilogy (Sabriel, Liriel and Abhorsen).
http://members.ozemail.com.au/~garthnix/

By Shadow on Sunday, December 26, 2004 - 10:05 pm: Edit Post

The Pellinor series by Alison Croggon is going to be a quartet, sorry, not a trilogy.

By Cheryl on Monday, December 27, 2004 - 10:22 am: Edit Post

I begin reading Traitor's Knot this morning. I got Stephen Harper's Offspring and Wen Spencer's Dog Warrior. Also got Mercedes Lackey's To Light a Candle seqeul to Outrstreched Shadow. I stock up for the winter. Can't wait to start Traitor's Knot that one is first.

By Bruce on Wednesday, December 29, 2004 - 03:03 pm: Edit Post

Just read Last Kingdom by Bernard Cornwell which was very good. It is set in Anglo Saxon England in the time of Alfred the Great and is mostly told through the Dane's point of view, I am looking forward to what he does with the rest of this series. Next is Cherryh's Foreigner which I've thought of reading for about 10 years, but never have got around to reading.

By Cheryl on Wednesday, December 29, 2004 - 05:14 pm: Edit Post

Oh Bruce I loved Foreigner I think I said this to you already but it was really great. Surprised me too because I'd passed on the hardcover and saw the cover of the paperback and had to have it. I loved it though. Bren is a great hero can't go wrong with him. It got me to read more of Cherryh's other books. Destroyer comes in Feb. can't wait for that one. Foreigner was still the best in that series I think. Their's 50 pages of a story that leads to what happened so you don't get to Bren for a little while. Let us know what you think of it.

By Frank T Davis on Saturday, January 08, 2005 - 02:14 am: Edit Post

Rurack,
I recently read Friedman's Coldfire Triology and enjoyrd it very much. It is a bit on the dark side, particularly at the beginning, but is well worth the read. I read Anne Bishop's Black Jewels Trilogy immediately preceding the read of Friedman's work and was solidly ensconced in the world of the darkside. By the way, I also enjoyed Bishop's work. It was good and it was cheap, I was able to purchase a paperback that contained the entire trilogy.

Janny, I assume the hero developed by Friedman that you refer to is Damien Vryce?
Frank

By Frank T Davis on Saturday, January 08, 2005 - 02:23 am: Edit Post

A hardy thankyou to those who recommended I read Guy Kay's "Lions of Al-Rossen". Read it during November and really enjoyed it. It almost broke my heart at one point, but gave me great joy in the end.

I also read Kay's "Tigana" and enjoyed it as well. Agree with your assessment that Lions is by far his best work.
Frank

By Frank T Davis on Saturday, January 08, 2005 - 02:29 am: Edit Post

Those who need some relatively light fantasy reading while awaiting the release of TF, pick up Phillip Pullman's "His Dark Material" trilogy. I believe he writes primarily for children but this trilogy is aimed at the older set. It's also a good read. And Amazon is running a special on the trilogy as a set. I had already purchased and read book one some time ago but purchased the set as it was cheaper than buying books two and three.

If you like Carol Burg, pick up and read her "Song of the Beast". It is a bit of a tragedy and is very well done.
Frank

By Frank T Davis on Saturday, January 08, 2005 - 02:58 am: Edit Post

A few years ago I picked up and read "The Golden Key" by M. Rawn, J. Roberson and K. Elliot primarily because I'm a big fan of Rawn and Elliot. The book is very unique in the world of fantasy and I enjoyed it very much. As I recall, fantasy came alive through paintings.

Anyway, I was reviewing my library to get ideas on reading material to fill this intolerably long period of waiting until TF is published in the US, and deccided to checkout Jennifer Roberson. I found that Daw, her publisher, recently rereleased her "Chronicles of the Cheysuli", a set of eight books, as an Omnibus edition in which the eight or packaged in four books. Well I'm almost finished with book four of the Omnibus edition. She is a very good writer and I'm enjoying "Chronicles" very much. Can't put them down. She writes a lot like Melanie Rawn, just a bit more in depth. If you enjoyed Rawn's "Dragon Prince" trilogy and her "Dragon Star" Trilogy, you will definitely enjoy Roberson's "Chronicles. The books cover roughly a century and ten generations of the Cheysuli.

I'll likely order and read her "Sword Dancer" Saga. And there is a good chance that she has published Parts of her "Karavans" series.
Frank