Archive through January 24, 2005

Janny Wurts Chat Area: Book Nook: Archive through January 24, 2005
   By Sandtiger on Friday, January 21, 2005 - 04:42 pm: Edit Post

Frank,

Chainfire is book one of a three book trilogy that will conclude the "Sword of Truth" series. There are "Autographed" versions available (7000 to be exact...makes me wonder if they weren't auto-penned) Books 2 and 3 are due out in January of 2006 and 2007.

If you're interested, there is a message board for discussion of his books at www.terrygoodkind.com though he doesn't post.

To be honest, I gave up reading his stuff about 4 years ago, but a few of the people I met on the message board there (In 1998) are still very good friends, so I still peek in to say hello once in a blue moon.

As an odd point of note, I have to admit that "Wizard's First Rule" is probably the only book-expression I use regularly. I've used it so much my mother made me order her one of the Tee shirts. ::laugh::

On the book note, I bought both Balance of Trade and Crystal Soldier (By Steve Miller and Sharon Lee) as E-books because I didn't want to wait for them. (I'll still order the real books at the same time I get Traitor's Knot.) They were my first ebook purchases.

I started with Crystal Soldier, and am enjoying it immensely. It's weird reading on the screen and it's taking me longer because my eyes can't take reading long on a screen - but it's worth it.

As an odd question...the ebooks are significantly cheaper than the hard copies...I wonder if that's because the authors assume people will buy both e-book and hard copy? (Which I will).

I also notice that Sime~Gen: To Kiss or To Kill is also an embiid e-release in May...considering Meisha Merlin has yet to announce a release date for it, I imagine I'll be buying it as an e-book as well before getting the hardcover.

Sandtiger

By Cheryl on Friday, January 21, 2005 - 05:16 pm: Edit Post

Sandtiger, weird you should mention Terry's board here. I just signed up on that board. It seems like a fun one to go to. I just thought I've read his books, why am I not there talking about them. I agree Frank, it does seem like he's back in form with Chainfire. I'm still at the beginning but about 100 pages into it and still wondering what happened to Kahlan lol I think I know but I'll wait to find out. And Bruce shame on you not thinking the world of Bren Cameron. LOL He's only one of the best heroes out there. I guess it's a girl thing though with Bren. lol Glad you liked Ilisidt though she is a blast. I love her cane and bossy behavior. Did you guys hear how Terry Goodkind had 7,000 of his Chainfire books signed and sent out all over to different places. I think that's a cool and fun idea. Some are in red ink and some in green. Those are the real special ones. I didn't get an autograph in mine but I might sneak a look at the other books I run across just to see. I do live in a place where tours are possible though so he might mean they were sent out to foreign places.

By Emrys on Friday, January 21, 2005 - 09:01 pm: Edit Post

Regarding cost of e-books - most of them are less than the hard copies because the expense of the paper and cover materials, distribution, storage, etc doesn't need to be factored into the price.

Based on comments from Baen barflies, most people do buy both a hard and e-book copy. Baen has found that making an e-book version available for free causes current sales of back-list paperbacks to go up. (Check out their Free Library.)

(briefly emerging from an enormous heap of paperwork and other complications, and, not finding Traitor's Knot sitting on the doorstep, resubmerging)

By Joy on Sunday, January 23, 2005 - 02:18 pm: Edit Post

A non-SF/F recommendation:

'The Shadow of the Wind' by Carlos Ruiz Zafon (translated by Lucia Graves).

I agree with the quote on the cover:

quote:

A popular masterpiece, an instant classic

One of the most engaging, original and wonderful books I have read. I guess you could say I like it :-)

Joy

By Frank T Davis on Sunday, January 23, 2005 - 05:46 pm: Edit Post

Sandtiger,
Thanks for the update. I covet the signatures of only a few authors: Janny Wurts of course and Robin Hobbs to name a couple. To date I have Robin's but have not yet gotten Janny's.

Will checkout the Goodkind website. Thanks for that info.

Please say more about "Balance of Trade" and "Crystal Soldier". Though I have eleven books to keep me busy until TK arrives, I'm always looking for new (to me) fantasy authors. I have on hand six by Jennifer Roberson, one by Guy Kay, one by Dennis McKiernan, one by Michelle West and two by Sara Douglas.

E-books do not work for me due eyesight problems and neck related problems. Additionally, I typically read myself to sleep each night which doesn't work well with a monitor. Glad to hear that it's working for you.

Joy, please say more about "Shadows of the Wind". Thanks.
Frank

By Frank T Davis on Sunday, January 23, 2005 - 05:55 pm: Edit Post

Just finished reading Feist's "King of Foxes", the second in his "Conclave of Shadows" trilogy. I really enjoyed the book. One place he really surprised me with what he did to our hero, Tal. THen I thought, oh well this is fantasy, he'll fix it. I wasn't disappointed.

The only problem with the book and its predecessor is they are both too short. Just as you're really getting comfortable with the plot and the characters, they end. Each book has only 380 or so pages. I like them to go on and on, like maybe 800 t0 1000 pages. Don't find many like this any more, unfortunately. It seems that many of the current publishers tend to lump us F/SF readers with the readers of their more main stream genres.
Frank

By Cheryl on Monday, January 24, 2005 - 12:33 pm: Edit Post

I know Frank. I felt the same way. I still have the very end of King of Foxes to read but I was shocked too by what happened to our hero. I think that sounds promising that it gets fixed or something like that. I really enjoy these books by Feist and still looking forward to Jimmy The Hand. Try Michelle West first if you have Hunter's Oath and Hunter's Death. Those are my two favorites by her, but hers are all good. I got to meet her at WFC this last year and I was happy to know how sweet and talkative she was to her fans much like Janny and Carol. I loved meeting all of them in person. I wish King of Foxes was longer in length too. I noticed that as well and wished it was over 400 at least. I like thicker too. The thicker the better I always say.

By Memory on Monday, January 24, 2005 - 02:16 pm: Edit Post

I don't know, Frank. To me, that issue with Tal was just too simple. I wasn't *too* bothered by what happened to him, since I knew that someone would probably be able to magic it all better. I think it would have been more interesting to see how this dashing romantic hero coped for the rest of his life with what happened to him. Especially after that, I wasn't worried about anything that might put him in danger, since one way or the other, he was bound to come through unscathed.

(trying to be circumspect to avoid spoilers!)

Memory

By Phil on Monday, January 24, 2005 - 05:42 pm: Edit Post

Some very good action in the 3rd (and final book) of the Conclave of Shadows - Exiles Return. You even get a brief glimpse of Kelewan. It is however another brief book - read half of it whilst waiting in a hospital waiting room.

Ray has said the book after that will start the Darkwar Trilogy - returning to the sort of narrative found in the Serpentwar.

Oh Cheryl - the US is getting the Legends Of the Riftwar series late this year or early next. There are 3 Books published - Honored Enemy (one of his best books); Murder In La Mut (one of his worst) and Jimmy The Hand (disappointing)

By Phil on Monday, January 24, 2005 - 05:44 pm: Edit Post

Another nugget - there is to be a new series from Robin Hobb this year (in a new world) - first book to be called Shaman's Crossing