Archive through April 19, 2005

Janny Wurts Chat Area: Book Nook: Archive through April 19, 2005
   By Sandtiger on Monday, April 04, 2005 - 07:38 pm: Edit Post

Cheryl,

That's still a ways away...but eventually, I promise!

I'll try and keep you in short stories during the wait though.

:-)

Jana

By Cheryl on Monday, April 04, 2005 - 08:47 pm: Edit Post

Thank you Jana, I look forward to many more short stories. I think I made a mistake starting out writing a novel instead of short stories but now I'm so involved in this one I don't want to break the flow of it. Look forward to July.

By Sandtiger on Monday, April 04, 2005 - 10:10 pm: Edit Post

I wouldn't worry. I started writing short stories thinking they would help for writing a novel.

Not true at all - they are two very different beasts...

Sandtiger

By max on Tuesday, April 05, 2005 - 04:07 am: Edit Post

'Women of War'? that sounds really interesting. A history teacher of mine said that he would never want to fight an army of women. He said that women give no quarter and ask for none. Opinions?? I'm still not sure what he meant. But I was onlt 17 and that WAS 35 years ago. [grinning at ya] to change the subject, I am now reading 'Mystic Warrior', I don't remeber that author, 'Impossible Odds', Dave Duncan, 'The Birthday of the World' a collection of short stories by Ursula LeGuin. So many books!! Almost better than drinking around the campfire.

By Cheryl on Tuesday, April 05, 2005 - 01:59 pm: Edit Post

Mystic Warrior is that Tracy Hickman's latest novel? I like it so far but I set it aside to read Carol Berg's book and finish To Light A Candle. I've been stuck at the beginning of Mystic Warrior but I think it looks really good. He's from the Dragonlance books but writing away from them now and sometimes writes with his wife Laura. I don't know what the history teacher meant either. I'll have to ponder it for awhile. I'm curious now what it means.

By Bruce on Friday, April 08, 2005 - 01:38 pm: Edit Post

Just finished both "Seeds of Betrayal & Bonds of Vengenance by David Coe. Very enjoyable fantasy, I especially like how he details characters coming to their decision of betrayals or not depending on their viewpoints. Next is either Precursor by Cherryh or the Black Jewels Trilogy by Anne Bishop.

Bruce

By Trys on Friday, April 08, 2005 - 04:04 pm: Edit Post

I just ordered a copy of Migration (Species Imperative, No. 2) from Bakka Phoenix Books in Toronto. Julie Czerneda is doing a signing there on May 14. If you liked Survival (Species Imperative, No. 1) the first in this series, you don't want to miss this chance. On the other hand if you haven't read Survival give yourself a treat. It's a wonderful read.

I love these bookstores who are willing to go the little extra distance for their customers and that's why I'll publicize them.

Trys

By Jay_Jay on Sunday, April 10, 2005 - 10:25 pm: Edit Post

Just got back from Ad Astra, Toronto's annual Sci-Fi conference, and I picked up several new and used books there. One was the paperback version of Tanya Huff's Smoke and Shadows which I have been wanting to read ever since browsing through the hardcover version at LAST year's Ad Astra. The second was a used copy of The Silmarillion. I want to take part in an online discussion that's just starting about it, and I can't find my hardcover edition. Hey, for a measly $3, I was glad to get my hands on it. Maybe sometime in June, when all my books are unpacked, the hardcover will have resurfaced. Meanwhile, I can still take part in the discussion.

The third was Wind Witch, a fantasy that Don Maitz did the cover for. I came EXTREMELY close to buying the preliminary sketch for this cover when Don had it for sale in the auction at WFC. Very much looking forward to seeing what the book is like.

And yes, this is one time in my life that I did indeed 'judge a book by its cover!' :D

By Sandtiger on Monday, April 11, 2005 - 09:36 am: Edit Post

Also just back from Ad Astra, a bit worse for wear since my throat is bothering me. (Not Laryngitis, nor do I think it's a cold - just a sore throat.)

Still, had a great time visiting with friends, and my first actual panels (As opposed to the reading I had at WFC) went well. One was on Happy Endings, (With Rob Sawyer) and the other was on the Butterfly Effect. (With Jo Walton and Michelle West).

My only purchases were a pair of pewter and glass goblets for a friend's wedding shower, and a copy of Down and Out in the Magic Kingdom because the proceeds of that went to the Sunburst Award. (Canadian SF Award).

I also saw a magnificent reversable cloak in a dark purple corderoy with an irridescent blue on the inside that reflected the purple, and silver trim. Very wizardly. I am not one to dress up, but I thought long and hard about buying it because I've never seen anything like it. I did take one of the designer's cards though - she lives in Toronto...

Now, to make valuable use of a day off work...

Sandtiger

By Laurence Jeffrey Johnson on Tuesday, April 19, 2005 - 04:19 pm: Edit Post

Hello,I recently read Stephen Lawhead's The Song of Albion Series, I enjoyed it! I have also read some of his other books and they were also enjoyable, but they fit into the genre of historical novels rather than SF/F., I also read David Farland's The Runelords Series and I found that the story flowed really well!
Skol=Cheers from Laurence.