Archive through May 12, 2005

Janny Wurts Chat Area: Book Nook: Archive through May 12, 2005
   By Cheryl on Thursday, April 28, 2005 - 12:02 pm: Edit Post

I must read that series too. It's so hard to decide what to read next with so many good books out there. It's almost past allergy season so I hope I can get a lot more reading done. EerieCon sounds like it was fun Jana. I love your name. It sounds fantasy like and it's very pretty so keep it. I agree. Now my last name is another story. lol Don't even ask about my maiden name. I dropped it. lol

By Cheryl Detmer on Friday, May 06, 2005 - 08:49 pm: Edit Post

Anyone here reading Tanya Huff's latest series? I'm looking forward to getting Tanya Huff's Smoke and Mirrors? The next book in the Tony Series. I can't wait for it. It's good and I'm so glad she's writing these books of Tony. I always liked him and thought he needed a bigger part. I was happy she did this with Tony's character in the Blood books.

By Frank T Davis on Saturday, May 07, 2005 - 10:29 am: Edit Post

My goodness but she is one prolific writer. For some unknown reason I have just found her. Have finished reading "Child of the Grove" and am almost finished with "The Last Wizard". Fortunately both are in the same volume; otherwise I most likely would not have picked it up. It is very good light reading.

Reading TH should keep me entertained until TK finally does get here.
Frank

By Cheryl Detmer on Saturday, May 07, 2005 - 10:35 am: Edit Post

I didn't think Child of the Grove was her best work Frank. I never did read all of it. Her Blood Books and Quarter Sea ones are so good and one old book called the Fire's Stone. I hope you can read some more of her books. She has a lot of humor in her later work. Blood books are serious but humorous at the same time. Glad you are enjoying her books Frank. She's very nice to her fans like Janny is.

By Bruce on Monday, May 09, 2005 - 04:26 pm: Edit Post

Just finished Glen Cook's "Whispering Nickel Gods", which is a mix of fantasy & mystery and various competing mobs. It was a fun light read, and I'm currently about 100 pages into Julie Czerneda's "Survival" which I am enjoying so far.

By Memory on Tuesday, May 10, 2005 - 05:05 am: Edit Post

I'm very excited - I found out a couple of days ago that Terry Pratchett is coming to Cambridge to do a book signing session! He's on my list of 'desperately want to meet' authors (along with Janny), so I can't wait :-) :-) I'm going to have to contain my fangirl-like squeeing, and try and act my age... ;)

By Cheryl Detmer on Tuesday, May 10, 2005 - 08:35 am: Edit Post

That's great Memory. I'm excited for you. I did pretty good with the authors but I was a bit nervous around Janny. I talk better with her online than in person. I think I got really starstruck with her. She's a woman of many talents that admire so much. I guess Janny just means a lot to me and I got all nervous. I'm hoping I'll do better at Dragon Con. After the first hour or so I calm down. Doranna Durgin was very nice but I was again nervous around her. I've loved her earlier books so much. She was very nice though and introduced me to Jennifer Roberson. It's all fun. I just need to stay calm. Maybe I should take some prozac before I meet them. LOL or two tylenol to calm down. lol It's all fun though Good luck with Terry Pratchett. I think you will do better than I do sometimes. lol Forget about Judith Tarr, I really messed up with her. I babbled. oh well it was fun to meet her though and she won't remember me. Thank goodness. I'll start over again with her sometime. lol

By Laurence J Johnson on Thursday, May 12, 2005 - 04:51 pm: Edit Post

Hello one and all, I recently obtained the first book in Robert Jordan's The Wheel OF Time series, this is a rather long series, is it worth bothering with? Skol from Laurence.

By Memory on Thursday, May 12, 2005 - 05:11 pm: Edit Post

Ohhhh - so you've not heard of the Great Jordan Debate? This is often discussed in a lot of fantasy forums ;) I've read all the books so far, but I think I've forgotten what's happened in all but the first two or three. It started off really well, and I greatly enjoyed the first three books. However, after that, it seems to lose its way. There are about 20 different threads of the story, and you get the feeing that Jordan's losing control somewhat. It's got to the stage where there doesn't feel like there's really a direction any more, since there are so many threads that each book only manages to move you on a little way with each.

I wouldn't say it's not worth starting - I loved the first few - but you should know how things are panning out!

By Laurence J Johnson on Thursday, May 12, 2005 - 06:17 pm: Edit Post

Hello Memory, thanks for the fast response, I had not heard of the great Jordan debate, all going well I will leave this book until the winter, as during the long dark nights it's easier to concentrate on a very detailed story, + I have plenty of other books to read at this time. Cheers from Laurence.