Archive through June 02, 2005

Janny Wurts Chat Area: Book Nook: Archive through June 02, 2005
   By Laurence J Johnson on Saturday, May 21, 2005 - 08:46 pm: Edit Post

Hello, one and all, I've started reading Katharine Kerr's SNARE, it's fine so far, I have read most of her books. Do any of you also read her work? I will post again when I have finished reading SNARE. Skol from Laurence.

By adam john bradbury on Saturday, May 21, 2005 - 10:35 pm: Edit Post

Laurence,
I am a fan of Katherine Kerr, having read her Deverry, Westlands and DragonMage cycles. Am patiently waiting for the last books of the DragonMage (the silver wyrm part 1-The golden falcon, and the silver wyrm part 2 - Black Rock). Hopefully now that she has recovered from her medical emergency (for more information www.deverry.com) she will be finishing them soon.
I have also read Flashframes, which is also very good.
Have yet to purchase Snare though, is it worth buying in your opinion? It is just that I have only so much money to spend on books these days, and so many books are out there just begging to be bought.
Cheers Adam

By Laurence J Johnson on Sunday, May 22, 2005 - 12:06 pm: Edit Post

Hello Adam, thanks for the fast response, I have also read K,KERR's DEVERRY, WESTLANDS, and DRAGONMAGE books, and like yourself I'm looking forward to the next ones in the series, I have not read FLASHFRAMES, as for SNARE so far I have only read the first chapter and YES it's shapeing up well, if you enjoyed the Deverry series etc., then I reckon that you will like this book.

Books do cost a lot nowadays, have you checked out EBAY? I live in the Shetland Islands UK., and there is not a decent book shop here, so I find ebay handy, I also make use of our excellent public libary service.

Like most folk I tend to read more in the winter, at this time of year there is so much to do, but when I have finished reading SNARE I will post my honest opinion of it. SKOL from LAURENCE.

By neilw on Monday, May 23, 2005 - 10:55 am: Edit Post

I've read "Freezeframes" (!) but I think I lost the book somewhere...doesn't happen very often...Snare is OK. It's lighter than the dragon mage which I have found hardgoing.

By Miranda on Monday, May 23, 2005 - 08:03 pm: Edit Post

Has anyone else read Susanna Clarke's fantastic novel 'Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell'? Possibly it's only out in the UK, so this question may mean nothing to all you Americans out there, and if so, I'm very sorry for you and I hope for your sakes it makes the trans-Atlantic move very quickly! But - anyone who has read it, what did you think? Were you, like me, completely blown away? Brilliantly written, beautifully drawn characters, intelligent use of historical facts, and an appearance by Lord Byron - unbelievable. It did ruin my life for three days (couldn't do anything but sit, hunched on my sofa, reading), but it was worth it! I kept thinking how great it'd be if I could only read it in bed, but it's so big it might have crushed me...oh, please someone else have read it so I can talk about it to them!

Miranda

By Miranda on Monday, May 23, 2005 - 08:08 pm: Edit Post

Has anyone else read Susanna Clarke's fantastic novel 'Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell'? Possibly it's only out in the UK, so this question may mean nothing to all you Americans out there, and if so, I'm very sorry for you and I hope for your sakes it makes the trans-Atlantic move very quickly! But - anyone who has read it, what did you think? Were you, like me, completely blown away? Brilliantly written, beautifully drawn characters, intelligent use of historical facts, and an appearance by Lord Byron - unbelievable. It did ruin my life for three days (couldn't do anything but sit, hunched on my sofa, reading), but it was worth it! I kept thinking how great it'd be if I could only read it in bed, but it's so big it might have crushed me...oh, please someone else have read it so I can talk about it to them!

Miranda

By Frank T Davis on Tuesday, May 24, 2005 - 12:54 am: Edit Post

Since my last posting I have read the following five books while awaiting TK. They are arranged in the order of "how well I liked each, the best is first and the worst is last. Hope my brief comments are helpful.

"In Legend Born" by Laura Resnick. Though Resnik is an accomplished author, this is her first fantasy which is very well done. It was published in '98 and hence was not limited in length by the publisher. It has 724 pages, which is wonderful. Though somewhat classical in nature, five people from differing backgrounds come together and go forth on the adventure of fighting evil, she does imbed some really neat and surprising plot twists. I have already ordered the two followup books that she has recently published.

"Killer Smile" by Lisa Scottaline. This is a murder mystery that borders on SF as it involves "outlaw" gene splitting by the US federal government to create non human soldiers with extraordinay skills and superman abilities. And the hero is a dumpy little lawyer who has elected to take on the evils of the federal government. His researcher, a super duper hacker hacks into the top secret files of a research firm and learns about the gene splitting efforts. They kill him which leads into the murder mystery. Scottaline is one of both my wife and my favorite murder mystery writers.

"Wizard of the Grove" by Tanya Huff. This also is fantasy and is well done. It is a stand alone book with 576 pages. It is very entertaining though somewhat light in its nature. Huff has written several books and based on this one, I have ordered her first two.

"Bad Company" by Jack Higgens. This is an international spy mystery that initiates just prior to suicide of Hilter and extends to present. It is an international best seller. It is well done and very entertaining reading; one to pick up just prior to a long flight.

"Mystic Warrior" by Tracy and Laura Hickman. This is a fantasy that is somewhat disappointing given the many very good books that Tracy has cowritten with Margaret Weis. It reminded me a bit of the "Deathgate Cycle" saga though not nearly as well done. I definitely will not purchase their followup hardback that is currently on the racks. I may decide to purchase the paperback.

Frank

By Cheryl Detmer on Tuesday, May 24, 2005 - 03:19 pm: Edit Post

I'm getting Exile's Return this week from my dad for Birthday. Can't wait to read it. I've really enjoyed Talon so far. I'm still excited to get Jimmy the Hand when that comes out in the US. I just finished Soul Weaver by Carol Berg. What a great read. I hope you all get to read this series. Now to recommend Traitor's Knot at Carol's group. Love it and one of the best in the series Janny. I'm still reading it but I'm enjoying it very much. Can we recommend Traitor's Knot here? lol

By Bruce on Thursday, June 02, 2005 - 09:49 am: Edit Post

Just finished reading both Survival and Migration by Julie Czerneda. Very fun, these books are genuine sleep stealers. They are the 1st 2 books I have read by this author and won't be the last.

Bruce

By Frank T Davis on Thursday, June 02, 2005 - 11:05 am: Edit Post

Recently read a very good murder mystery with international intrigue "Angels and Demons" by Dan Brown. It should appeal to the SF fans as it deals with terroism involving anti-matter. Recall that Dan Brown also wrote "The Da Vinci Code" which was an international best seller. I believe that Demons is actually a much better written book. Both my wife and I enjoyed it very much.
Frank