Archive through June 25, 2005

Janny Wurts Chat Area: Book Nook: Archive through June 25, 2005
   By winter on Friday, June 24, 2005 - 02:34 pm: Edit Post

Can anybody recommend me a good fantasy (not sci-fi please) series that is currently complete? I can't handle the suspense of unfinished series anymore. I've read a lot of the usual suspects, MZ Bradley, Orson Scott Card, Goodkind, Eddings, Feist, Hobb, Kay, Kerr, Martin, McCaffrey, Nix, Rawn, Williams, etc. I need something new...

By Artemis on Friday, June 24, 2005 - 02:36 pm: Edit Post

Oh Frank, because it is, that's why.
Everything has to be somewhere.

love,

Artie.

By Artemis on Friday, June 24, 2005 - 02:38 pm: Edit Post

P.S.

Mine and Rob's 27th Anniversary today.

(that shouldn't be in Book Nook either)

Artie

By Frank T Davis on Friday, June 24, 2005 - 05:50 pm: Edit Post

Winter,
I highly recommend Michelle West's two book saga entitled "The Sacred Hunt" followed by her six book saga entitled "The Sun Sword". All eight books have many of the same characters and it appears that the fantasy world of the six parter is a much expanded world of the two parter. I really enjoyed her work.
Frank

By Frank T Davis on Friday, June 24, 2005 - 05:52 pm: Edit Post

U-N-C-L-E!!
Frank

By Cheryl Detmer on Friday, June 24, 2005 - 07:01 pm: Edit Post

Mickey Zucker Reichert has great books. All of them are good. CJ Cherryh Atevi series. I agree with Frank on Michelle West. Definitely good reads. Mercedes Lackeys Valdemar series. Jane Fancher's Ring of Destiny books are great. Lots of books out there. I'll try to think of more.

By Emrys on Friday, June 24, 2005 - 10:18 pm: Edit Post

Winter-
I'll assume you've read Janny's other series and stand-alones.

Susan Cooper: 5 book series (begins with The Dark is Rising). Might be found in the children's section, but a good read.

Mark Anthony: The Last Rune series (begins with Beyond the Pale)

Anne Bishop: The Black Jewels Trilogy (plus The Invisible Ring stand-alone) Checking, I see there's a new one out in this world (note to self: go fetch), but the trilogy has an ending.

Michael Stackpole: Dragoncrown Cycle, and its prelude The Dark Glory War. Also various (non-Star Wars) stand-alones. (I also liked his Rogue Squadron and I, Jedi books, though I haven't bothered with most of the SW related works.)

Andre Norton: lots of.

Patricia McKillip: The Riddlemaster trilogy

I can also name some "sets" - stand-alone books which mesh with each other. Each book can be read alone and has a definite ending, but the whole is greater than the sum of the parts.

Lois Bujold: world of Chalion (Curse of Chalion, Paladin of Souls, Haunted Hunt)

Dennis McKiernan: Into the Forge/Into the Fire, The Iron Tower, plus more (separate book "The Caves of Socrates" is also worthwhile)

Tanya Huff: the Keepers (Especially if you like cats. Snicker.)

Patricia Wrede: various

Probably more, but that's as far along my mental bookshelf inventory as I care to go at the moment.

By Hannah on Saturday, June 25, 2005 - 12:40 am: Edit Post

My first fantasy series, still dear to my heart, was Lloyd Alexander's Prydain series. Very good, very finished. ;) An easy, quick read for anyone who can read Janny.

By Hannah on Saturday, June 25, 2005 - 01:04 am: Edit Post

Trys,

I don't suppose you have any way to recover the posts of mine that you saw to delete re: RJ? In another topic, I think. While it might have personally rubbed you the wrong way, or even Janny if she requested their removal, I failed to see how it broke any written rules of this chat area. But as had been shown in the past, this is more of a 'dictatorial' type of moderatorship, which I can deal with, for the most part, since I have learned long ago what types of things I can and can't say here, for fear of being deleted, and thus I usually try to keep my nose out of trouble.

It's just that I would like to have the text of my long, drawn-out dissertation on RJ for personal use. It's something I wanted to share with a friend (we're having a discussion on that author), and I couldn't remember half of what I said, and didn't want to have to type the whole thing out again...

I don't remember the post being incredibly flame-ish, although I can't deny that my feelings on his chosen writing style are pretty obvious, in comparison to Janny's especially. And goodness knows I'm not the first person to ever drift off-topic. Most off-topic posts seem to get moved to a more appropriate location. And it states in our 'rules' that any opinions expressed herein do not reflect the thoughts of "the board or its moderators", so I don't see where the concern about Janny's rep comes in. She can't be expected to be held accountable for every little remark we say. Though I understand trying to keep the posts in a peaceful and orderly tone, for the most part, especially towards one another.

I mod five or so communities myself (some more heavily-trafficked than others, admittedly), so I realize that sometimes people come along that you may think are complete morons, or really strongly disagree with, and you want to ban them for life. Obviously, we can't just randomly delete and ban people based on whether they irritate us on any given day. That's not a just way to mod a community.

I would also think about ammending the rules to be more specific about what is or isn't allowed (e.g., "No negative opinions are to be expressed about other authors"). Than you can just refer back to them, without any ambiguity, and we have no ground for arguing our claim.

/midnight rambling

Anyhow, do you have the means to send me the text? The more I think on it, the more that I doubt that you do... Never hurts to ask, though.

By Hannah on Saturday, June 25, 2005 - 03:06 am: Edit Post

Oops... I was wakened out of a restless sleep, realizing that 1) if I had been thinking correctly, my request would have been more suitably e-mailed to you (the option honestly did not occur to me at the time) and 2) I probably sounded unduly waspish and/or rude, even though that was not an emotion I was feeling at the time. I don't like being censored anymore than the next person. And then there are the times, like now, when I wish I had been pre-censored to edit out unnecessary, rambling drivel. But you do have my apologies if I offended. Probably so, re-reading.

But, ehm, as I said, I woke up about three minutes ago (1:00 am, PST), and realized I needed to come back and ammend myself. So I've padded out here to the computer desk, tripping over the furniture, and turning the computer back all the way back on to say the above.

And now, hopefully, I can get some decent sleep...