Archive through August 01, 2005

Janny Wurts Chat Area: Book Nook: Archive through August 01, 2005
   By Cheryl Detmer on Thursday, July 28, 2005 - 03:27 pm: Edit Post

I bought Southern Fire today. Since Janny said it was pretty good, I thought I'd try it. I like the cover. I have one or two books by her that I haven't got to yet but plan to read. I had to exchange a book I'd gotten this weekend that turned out to be a Forgotten Realms reprint from way back that I already had read. They fool me with the new covers that look so nice then I find out later it's a reprint. Must be more careful about that. I was able to exchange it for Juliet's book.

By Frank T Davis on Thursday, July 28, 2005 - 03:30 pm: Edit Post

Cheryl,
Is "Southern Fire" a fantasy novel? If so I will likely purchase it from Amazon.
Thanks,
Frank

By Cheryl Detmer on Thursday, July 28, 2005 - 03:55 pm: Edit Post

Yes, it was in the fantasy section. I was about to buy it this weekend but then Janny said it was good so I did it. I liked what I read the book was about so I was interested in getting it.

By Frank T Davis on Thursday, July 28, 2005 - 03:59 pm: Edit Post

Just finished reading "Avenger" by Frederick Forsyth. This book like all of his work is excellently done. He is one of the top notch writers about international espionage. His character descriptions and plot development are exceptional. And he has a very unique way of tieing everything together.

If you're interested in being well entertained while getting some insights into terrorism and the horrors that occurred after the fall of the iron curtain, this is a must read. Re our fantasy standards it is a relatively short though dynamic book that will take you no time to read.Published in '03, my wife picked up the hardback for me at BAM for only $8. US.
Frank

By Auna on Friday, July 29, 2005 - 03:40 pm: Edit Post

Another book that will leave you wanting the sequel is Michael A. Stackpole's "A Secret Atlas". I just finished reading it and it's really good until the end where all hell breaks loose for our heroes (boo!). The next one isn't out till February (waa!). If anyone read the DragonCrown War Cycle, this is in similar vein with very complex political intrigue and interesting characters and abilities.

By Cheryl Detmer on Friday, July 29, 2005 - 06:55 pm: Edit Post

I might should get that one later Auna. I'll get to meet him at Dragon Con. I'll need to bring a book of his. Might go buy that one. Thanks

By Frank T Davis on Monday, August 01, 2005 - 01:25 am: Edit Post

Comments please re the fantasy writing of Jacqueline Carey. Am considering the purchase of her "Kushiel's Dart" but wanted to get your input prior to doing so.
Thanks,
Frank

By Frank T Davis on Monday, August 01, 2005 - 01:31 am: Edit Post

Just finished reading Laura Resnick's three books: "In Legend Born", "The White Dragon" and "The Destroyer Goddess". I would call them a trilogy but she chose not to. The books are very well done. I really enjoyed them. They were very straight forward and easy to read. Excellent fantasy.
Frank

By Selene on Monday, August 01, 2005 - 06:58 am: Edit Post

Frank,

Do you know if that concludes the series/duology? Or are there more books to come?(From what I understand, the last two were supposed to be one novel, "In fire forged", but it was split in two due to being too long...)

/Selene

By Wayne on Monday, August 01, 2005 - 07:33 am: Edit Post

Selene,

That is what I understood also from meeting Laura at a con few years ago. I do believe that was it for the series though. Unfortunately. I enjoyed her writing very much and do recommend her books.

Frank,
As for Carey heard she is good but still have not read the series yet. All three sitting in the to be read area. But cannot remember who told me that I would like her. But did buy them on their recommendation. May try to squeeze her in since nothing new that I am desperately waiting for coming out soon.

Wayne