Archive through August 15, 2005

Janny Wurts Chat Area: Book Nook: Archive through August 15, 2005
   By Frank T Davis on Monday, August 01, 2005 - 07:39 am: Edit Post

Hi Selene,
You are correct, the final two books were written as one novel but due to length, she had to publish it as two or else "eliminae so many pages that the remaining story wouldn't have made any sense". This last is quoted from the Author's Note contained in the second book, "The Destroyer Goddess"

In the same note she indicates that with "The Destroyer Goddess" ends for the forseeable future any writing involving Sileria, the island on which the three books are set. Further she indicates that she is working on two additional books set in the same world though in different countries. They are "Arena" set in The Moorlands and "The Palace of Heaven" set in THE Kintisk Kingdoms.
Frank

By Cheryl Detmer on Monday, August 01, 2005 - 07:47 am: Edit Post

I have those books and they do look good. They are on my to read list. I keep them because they look really good. I wondered too if the series was finished or not with White Dragon. Thanks

By Selene on Tuesday, August 02, 2005 - 09:57 am: Edit Post

Wayne and Frank,

Thanks! I'll pick them up then!

/Selene

By Bruce on Monday, August 08, 2005 - 09:11 am: Edit Post

Just finished "Shaman's Crossing" by Robin Hobb and I'm disappointed with the main character in this book, the character just seemed like a archetype and not much a character of all. I did like all the other characters, but I have never been disappinted with a character by Hobb before.

Just started Harry Potter 5 and am enjoying it so far. I waited a while with this book, because I already know who dies in it and it killed my excitement for the book for a while.

Bruce

By Frank T Davis on Monday, August 08, 2005 - 10:53 am: Edit Post

Just finished reading Jacqueline Carey's "Kushiel's Dart" and it was fantastic. The first 50 pages or so of the 901 of the book were a bit dry as she had much background info with lots of somewhat difficult names to address. After that it just got better and better. I will definitely purchase the other books in the series.

The book is a fantasy filled with much intrigue and scheming. In that vain it read much like an international spy novel which is one of my other loves. Carey is a master of description and she really puts the heroin/hero through many, many stressful situations. And it had forbidden love, and other very intense love that ended happily.

All in all, I'm glad I found her. Much good reading to come.

Frank

By Cheryl Detmer on Monday, August 08, 2005 - 12:03 pm: Edit Post

I've heard others say that's really good. I don't know if it would interest me though. I might take another look at it. A lot of people recommend that book. Thanks Frank.

By max on Monday, August 15, 2005 - 05:10 am: Edit Post

Just finished 2 books connected with Storm Constantine's 'Wraeththu Mythos'. the first was 'Breeding Discontent' by Wendy Darling, [yes, that's her name] and the second was called 'Terzah's Sons'. both were actually very touching And the Wraeththu is a series alot of people seem to identify with. Not sure why that is but maybe because even with magic problems, human problems always get to the forefront of any conflict. So these are good reads too. [smiling at ya]

By Sandtiger on Monday, August 15, 2005 - 11:24 am: Edit Post

I'm currently reading the Horatio Hornblower books by C.S. Forester. A friend of mine gave me a copy of the A&E miniseries, and after watching, I really wanted to read the books.

I've finished Mr. Midshipman Hornblower and Lieutenant Hornblower, and am now about to read the Omnibus "Captain Hornblower, RN".

So far so good.

Sandtiger

By Memory on Monday, August 15, 2005 - 03:20 pm: Edit Post

Oh, I've been meaning to read the Hornblower series for a long time, since I enjoyed the dramatisations so much. Must go to the library and get them out.

I've just finished Jeremy Paxman's book, 'The English' - interesting, amusing and informative. I've also just started Manda Scott's 'Boudica: Dreaming the Eagle', which is number two in her series. I've dropped it for a little bit until I can bring myself to keep reading. It's so depressing so far! I was filled with hope for my two favourite characters after the last book, but now they're barely talking! I can't take it...

By Auna on Monday, August 15, 2005 - 03:31 pm: Edit Post

A coworker of mine turned me onto the Hornblower series (he's rather a fanatic about it, hehe). Very good stuff, well written, and gives you a very excellent sense of what being on a ship was like in those days.