Archive through October 04, 2005

Janny Wurts Chat Area: Book Nook: Archive through October 04, 2005
   By Auna on Tuesday, August 16, 2005 - 11:06 am: Edit Post

Nobody has read his whole series yet because he isn't finished :p

Read the prequel first before Eye, whenever you decide to dive in.

By Cheryl Detmer on Tuesday, August 16, 2005 - 11:28 am: Edit Post

I meant the books I have in the series so far. Sorry. I didn't word that well. I met the books I have so far that he has written which is like ten I think. So many it boggles my mind. It will take me awhile to read them they are so thick. I want to though.

By Auna on Tuesday, August 16, 2005 - 02:52 pm: Edit Post

I'm going to give them one more try when he finishes. It's too hard to remember what's going on when the books are spread so far apart and his particular writing style discourages me from multiple rereadings.

By Kitsune on Tuesday, August 16, 2005 - 02:39 pm: Edit Post

FWIW, I'll chime in with a recommdation for "A Rumor Of Gems" by Ellen Steiber.

I was totally blown away by this: I don't normally buy harcovers due to the cost (Janny Wurts, Tad Williams, and Kate Elliott being the exception), but I saw this in the bookstore and picked it up on a whim, and I wasn't disappointed.

I actually lost sleep reading this book, as I was unable to put it down.

THe prose style is engaging and gripping, and the chracters are well defined right from the beginnign.

By Cheryl Detmer on Tuesday, August 16, 2005 - 06:04 pm: Edit Post

I've tried Kate Elliot and didn't quite get into her work. I'd love to try again though. I know she's a good writer. I don't really agree with Lackey being light reading. I'm pretty easy to please though. She gets into the minds of her characters better than anyone except for Janny and Carol Berg. I think Lackey just has an amazing way with her characters that really is her strength and makes her stories so alive. She always leaves me wanting more at the end. She hasn't lost her touch in my opinion but some don't agree and everyone's entitled to their opinions. I respect that. It's a matter of taste.

By Susan Canterbury on Sunday, September 04, 2005 - 09:42 pm: Edit Post

I really enjoy books that have good character development. Janny is my absolute favorite. I also enjoy Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series (though the books are dragging and the 3 year wait between books is irksome); Terry Goodkind's Sword of Truth series has also been a favorite. I am looking for to the release of the next book from George R. R. Martin in November.

By Cheryl Detmer on Tuesday, September 06, 2005 - 10:19 am: Edit Post

Yes, Janny is the best with character development. I love what she is doing with this series and each new book in this series is wonderful. I like Terry Goodkind as well but have lost a little interest just in the last two books. I hope to renew it soon. I've got to get into Robert Jordan. I missed him at Dragon Con. The crowds were so long for him you couldn't even see him. I decided to try again later to meet him after I've read more of his series. He is a great talent though. Yes, 3 year waits are hard for sure.

By Frank T Davis on Tuesday, October 04, 2005 - 10:15 am: Edit Post

You were absolutely right-on Janny with your assessment of Juliet McKenna's "Souther Fire". It is a very good fantasy novel as is the sequel "Northern Storm". I will definitely purchase her next book. And, will purchase her earlier works, the five books that make up "The Tales of Einarinn". Thankyou very much for recommending the book.

Almost by accident I've found another very good fantasy author, Robert Newcomb. Was recently in Books-a-Million and picked up his hard cover "The Fifth Sorceress" for 6 dollars. Have finally gotten around to reading it and have found it to be very good. A bit chauvenistic but very good. The guys are the good ones and the ladies are the wicked ones. And we have the battle(s) of good versus evil. Haven't checked yet but I'm sure he has written a second novel based on this world as his first was published in 2002. Will definitely check and purchase if available.
Frank

By Cheryl Detmer on Tuesday, October 04, 2005 - 12:02 pm: Edit Post

Robert Newcomb does seem good but he gets violent. He might be too violent for me. I like his characters though so I'm going to try to keep reading the series later on after I finish the ones I'm reading now. He does seem like a good new author that's already getting great reviews.

By Sandtiger on Tuesday, October 04, 2005 - 12:07 pm: Edit Post

I just picked up a copy of Robb Hobb's new book, "Shaman's Crossing"

We'll see how it is. I've been curious about it, since it takes place in a new world.

Sandtiger