Archive through November 19, 2005

Janny Wurts Chat Area: Book Nook: Archive through November 19, 2005
   By Cheryl Detmer on Tuesday, November 01, 2005 - 12:50 pm: Edit Post

I love Jean Rabe. I was thinking of buying this book but the young adult thing made me wonder if I'd enjoy it. I think it looks like it's for all ages. I'm still trying to find it in a bookstore to buy. I don't want to order it just yet.

By Bruce on Tuesday, November 08, 2005 - 06:28 pm: Edit Post

Just finished Patricia Mckillip's Harrowing the Dragon which is a wonderful short story collection. This weekend I bought Sword of Orion and Liaden Universe Companion Vol 1 both by Lee & Miller. I'm 100 pages into Sword of Orion and enjoying it so far.

By Hunter on Wednesday, November 09, 2005 - 08:14 am: Edit Post

I'm half way through "In the Ruins".. book 6 by Kate Elliot.. lots of Sanglant and Liath.. very good reading and easy to get back into..

By Sandtiger on Friday, November 18, 2005 - 11:38 am: Edit Post

I met author Kristine Smith at World Fantasy this year, and picked up her Book, Code of Conduct.

It's a wonderful and complex SF novel - I especially liked the way she handles the cross-cultural aspects of the book.

I went to Bakka yesterday and picked up her other three books. I am really looking forward to seeing what happens next.

One of my best purchases this year.

Another WFC related buy was Louise Marley's Young Adult Book called Singer in the Snow. I believe it is considered SF, though I'd call it more Science-Fantasy than anything. She has a very musical voice, and her words are simple,yet captivating. If you read YA, it's one not to miss.

Louise just won the Endeavor award for one of her adult novels - the Child Goddess - which I also bought but have not read yet.

Sandtiger

By Janny Wurts on Friday, November 18, 2005 - 11:46 am: Edit Post

Kristine Smith's books ARE neat reading. I blurbed for quite a few of them.... :-)

She has the most wonderfully deep and sometimes ambiguous motivations for her colorful characters.

And her aliens are Cool.

By Sandtiger on Friday, November 18, 2005 - 03:35 pm: Edit Post

Exactly. And her aliens feel like aliens, if you know what I mean.

And yup, definitely cool ;)

Sandtiger

By Bruce on Friday, November 18, 2005 - 04:59 pm: Edit Post

Finished Sword of Orion by lee and Miller which was great despite the cliffhanger ending. Also read The King Must Die by Mary Renault which is about the Greek hero Theseus and focuses largely on his adventures in Crete. Since I'm a sucker for greek myth this was great, must look for more of her stuff but first I'm going to read A Feast of Crows.

By max on Saturday, November 19, 2005 - 05:47 am: Edit Post

At the library I picked up several of Patricia Mckillips books. At first it was the artwork that attracted me, but she really writes fairytales for us 'big people'. My favorite so far, has been 'The Book of Atrix Wolfe'. At the book store there are alot of new ones out that look good. Also I remember you [Janny] asked about book stores that didn't have your books on the shelf. I always look for your books, even if I have them already. [just like the look of the new ones,I guess]. 2 Barnes and Nobles here in portland, oregon did not have them on the shelf. Yes I know they can be ordered, but I thought they should be out also. Anyway..[smiling at ya]

By Cheryl Detmer on Saturday, November 19, 2005 - 10:50 am: Edit Post

I just met her at the newsgroup and didn't realize Kristine Smith had so many books out. Julie put her site up on the board and I went to have a quick look. They do look like good books. I'm interested and I just hope it's not too hardcore sf. I don't seem to be able to read those difficult Sci fi books very well. I like Cherryh's type of sci fi and Julie Czerneda's. Not many others. I haven't been able to get into Patricia McKillip but everyone else loves them. I just couldn't get into her. I do love her covers of her books. That's why I try to like her. Maybe later I will.

By Janny Wurts on Saturday, November 19, 2005 - 01:21 pm: Edit Post

max - this is just the sort of info that's needed, but - WHICH Portland Oregon B&N - many large cities have more than one store - I need to know the address, OR the store's corporate number. Thanks!

Renault's Theseus books are fabulous - she also did one on Alexander. (old hotlist favorite of mine)

Everything of McKillips.

Cheryl - my take on book 1 of Kristine Smith's - the opening of the first is a wee bit of a jargon swim, BUT - push on, because the reward is quite well worth it. A first novel, taking a rather large concept, and she's creative with language, too - a big bite, and she pulls it off, IMHO, with fine panache. The picture clears very nicely as you move into the story.