Archive through December 24, 2005

Janny Wurts Chat Area: Book Nook: Archive through December 24, 2005
   By Cheryl Detmer on Saturday, November 19, 2005 - 10:04 pm: Edit Post

Thanks Janny, that will help me keep going then. I'll definitely buy the first one in her series. Which one is that so I'll make sure I buy the right one? Thanks again for the recommendation.

By Cheryl Detmer on Monday, December 12, 2005 - 03:57 pm: Edit Post

I thought I'd jump in and recommend a new author I just discovered. Her book is called Heartwood and her name is Barbara Campbell. I'm enjoying it very much. She reminds me of a mixture of Janny and Carol Berg. I think Janny's readers would enjoy this book very much. It looks like it will be a trilogy. I like her writing and heroes. It seems like a fun read so far but I haven't finished. I just know what I like and this one is a good one.

By max on Tuesday, December 13, 2005 - 05:05 am: Edit Post

Janny, I looked up the addresses in the phone book and they didn't give the zip code, but these are the two B&Ns I looked at;
B&N
1317 Lloyd Center
Portland, Or.
503-249-0800

B&N
1720 Jantzen Beach Center
Portland, Or. 503-283-2800

By Janny Wurts on Tuesday, December 13, 2005 - 10:31 am: Edit Post

max - thanks, this is exactly the sort of precision that's needful. I will pass this back.

By Hannah on Tuesday, December 13, 2005 - 09:03 pm: Edit Post

Ew, the B&N never has any Janny books, I've noticed. Either that, or they sell out immediately, but I doubt the latter, since there's never an empty space in the "W"s.

The Jantzen Beach B&N is my drug of choice when I'm housesitting for my grandma. One needs lots of reading matter when one's soaking in the hot tub. ;)

By Hannah on Tuesday, December 13, 2005 - 09:03 pm: Edit Post

I meant to say "the Lloyd Center B&N never has..."

By Janny Wurts on Wednesday, December 14, 2005 - 10:37 am: Edit Post

Hannah - if you give me the precise address of those B & N's, something can be done about it.

Many areas have more than one store - we have to be able to pinpoint which ones...even if "all" of them don't stock.

If you have the store's number (internal B&N reference) that will do as well.

Anyone supplying such information - I immediately pass it on. You are not just helping me - you are assisting the publisher, and every one of the readers of all their authors. And making the "system" aware of itself....

By Mari on Friday, December 23, 2005 - 01:46 pm: Edit Post

I found an unexpected jewel in Margaret Weis' and Tracy Hickman's Chronicles and Legends trilogies. A few years ago I saw that they had numerous books, decided to see what they had to offer, and picked up the first book in their Death Gate Cycle series. It took me 18 monthes to finally finish the book--I just couldn't stay interested in the story, but I never leave a book unfinished. My experience with that book kept me from trying another book by Weis and Hickman for a long time. A month ago I was low on cash and had exhausted most of my local library's fantasy section except for the books by Weis and Hickman. I ended up picking up the annotated versions of both books and fell in love with the plot and characters. This time instead of barely being able to finish the books, I couldn't put them down. I really enjoyed seeing the story from the authors' perspective and feeling a stronger connection to them. A month ago I would not have thought I'd be happy to recommend their works. It just goes to show that valuable lessons can be found in many small things everyday.

By Cheryl Detmer on Friday, December 23, 2005 - 05:48 pm: Edit Post

I love Margarite Weis and Tracy Hickman books. They are wonderful writers. I wasn't hooked on Death Gate Cycle either for some reason. I've enjoyed all of their's though besides that series. Try Rose of the Prophet by them and their earlier series that the title escapes me now. I had the most entertainment out of those six books. The title of the other series escapes me now but just look them up and they should all be listed. I'll look on my bookshelves for the titles too and list them if you'd like. They are great books. I just met Margarite Weis at Dragon Con and it was such a treat to talk with her. Just for a moment while she was signing books but it was a pleasure to meet her after all this time of reading her books since the 80's. I definitely recommend all of her solo books also.

By BillBob on Saturday, December 24, 2005 - 01:18 am: Edit Post

The Darksword Trilogy. Both of these series(Darksword, and Rose) showed up in the box of books I just unpacked. Only have space for a box or two at a time, so I rotate stock at home. They are on the reread list, once my current indulgence is finished. In the midst of a massive reread of the Thieves' World novels. The original 12 volume anthology, plus many of the outside list and the couple of new volumes since published by Lynn Abbey.