Archive through January 05, 2006

Janny Wurts Chat Area: Book Nook: Archive through January 05, 2006
   By David Gardner on Saturday, December 24, 2005 - 03:16 am: Edit Post

Oh, the Death Gate Cycle is awesome! *goes to reread*

By Cheryl Detmer on Saturday, December 24, 2005 - 01:34 pm: Edit Post

Thank you that's it The Darksword Trilogy very good and Rose is great too. They were my favorites by them. Love their Dragonlance books too though. I just couldn't get into Death Gate Cycle David. I tried and tried. I read three of the books but didn't go on. It was a strange series. It was clever of how they did it though. First of it's kind back then. I wish I had your encouragement of the series. Love the authors and their other works though. I love Lynn Abbey too. Met her also at Dragon Con but didn't have my book I brought with me when I met her. bummer but I had nice chat with her. She's a nice lady.

By Walt on Tuesday, December 27, 2005 - 10:49 am: Edit Post

In regards to the Darksword Trilogy, don't forget 'Legacy of the Darksword.' This companion volumne was issued a couple of years ago and neatly finishes out the Darksword saga. Rose of the Prophet is another on my list of top re-reads!

By David Gardner on Tuesday, December 27, 2005 - 02:32 pm: Edit Post

When I was younger I read a lot of Dragonlance books (as the library had quite a few of them and they were well stocked in bookstores. :-)) so I'd read practically everything Weis and Hickman would write... The Death Gate Cycle was the first book series where I had to camp out in the bookstore and wait for the next book to come out.. and with seven books, it was an agonising wait!

I can understand why some people have troubles with the Death Gate books, though, and even though I love the worlds and the characters, when I do re-reads of the series I actually tend to only read books 1, 2, 5 and 7 (despite having them all neatly lined up on my wall).

Darksword I loved until the twist in book 2. (Those who have read the books will know what I'm referring to. :-) I don't want to spoil it for those who are considering reading it, though ;)).

I think perhaps I enjoy the buildup of the world, the magic systems and interactions between the characters more than major progressions of the plot. The Death Gate books shift majorly in book 3, and then change completely in book 4, and not in a direction that I particularly enjoy reading about.

In fact when I do re-reads of the Wars of Light and Shadow I don't re-read Curse of the Mistwraith. Sometimes things are too "involved" (I was going to say traumatic, but that's not quite correct) to revisit when you're just doing a casual re-read to relax.

Of course, skipping books and the like might not quite be in congruence with the author's "artistic vision".. this makes me think of Katharine Kerr's Devvery books. The books twist around in time, like a Celtic knot, advancing the overarching plot and also showing different sides of the protagnists in former lives. All of this time travel can be confusing though, so a guy on the Katharine Kerr mailing list went through the entire book series (10 books?) and exhaustedly renumbered everything to be in absolute chronolgical order. It basically looked like this:

"Open up book 4. Read from pages 100 to page 151. Open up book 6. Read from page 1 to page 300..." and so forth. :-) Of course, doing this makes no sense, because the snippets of the past that you read are often a memory of a character in the "main" plotline, so it has no context whatsoever.

Anyhow! I liked the Rose of the Prophet trilogy too. I can also recommend Margaret Weis' solo project, "Star of the Guardians".

By Cheryl Detmer on Wednesday, December 28, 2005 - 10:12 pm: Edit Post

Oh I loved Dion in Star of Guardians. Remember him David? Reminded me of Luke Skyewalker and Hans solo sort of. Fun read. Loved all those books too. I didn't get into Katherine Kerr. It confused me too much I think. I tried and tried and never got hooked. Some books are just like that. I was confused with Death Gate Cycle too. I guess it was over my head or something. I didn't find the characters as engrossing as I did in their other books. I have to like a character somewhere in the story to get hooked. Death Gate Cycle just didn't have anyone I got interested in. Sad but true. I wanted to love those books too. I have them all. I do plan to attempt to read them again someday. My taste has changed with the writing I'm doing so it might be different now. I always wonder why I take to some authors like Janny and love them and some I just can't even get interested in.

By Andrew E. Allan on Monday, January 02, 2006 - 12:17 pm: Edit Post

Have you read David Gemmell?

By Cheryl Detmer on Tuesday, January 03, 2006 - 01:02 pm: Edit Post

No. I tried him once but didn't go on. I like the covers of his books. He's on my to read later list. I'm sure he is good. I like Raymond E. Feist and Terry Brooks. Long time favorites. Doesn't Terry Goodkind have a new book coming in Jan? Does anyone know if it's out yet? I was wondering if I needed to go out and buy it soon. Thanks

By neil on Wednesday, January 04, 2006 - 12:12 pm: Edit Post

Gemmell I like mostly and his books are shorter and simpler than WoLaS ;-) Often there are nice twists...

Has anyone read any Alan Garner book as an adult? I'm considering reading red shift or stone quartet having read some of his fantasy as a child years ago.

Having failed to find a copy of "that way lies camelot" recently I finally had the thought to use my local library to request it and yes it is "on order" ;-)

By Auna on Wednesday, January 04, 2006 - 06:56 pm: Edit Post

I don't think you really get to know the characters well until midway through the Death Gate Cycle. Then they become really interesting, especially the person who you originally thought was the antagonist. He became my favorite char by the end.

For me, the challenge in reading the series was dealing with the time between books since I got sucked in before the series was done.

By Cheryl Detmer on Thursday, January 05, 2006 - 05:02 pm: Edit Post

I know which character you mean Auna. I did read that far into it. I did like that interesting twist with the character you mentioned. It was the bright spot for me in the series. I need to finish it someday but so many others I want to read more in front of it. It's top of to read later books though.