Archive through April 06, 2006

Janny Wurts Chat Area: Book Nook: Archive through April 06, 2006
   By Jay_Jay on Tuesday, April 04, 2006 - 01:23 pm: Edit Post

Janny, I agree about Tigana, and I'm going to hazard a guess it was the main female character that you had problems with. It was Stockholm syndrome carried to an extreme, and I just couldn't buy it. I originally had a hardcover copy of Tigana, and after reading it once or twice, I gave it away.

Started Sarah's books last night, and so far, so good, but I was so tired I conked out after reading the prologue and the first chapter.

Well, at least I'm reading again, after a very, very long drought!

By Janny Wurts on Tuesday, April 04, 2006 - 01:37 pm: Edit Post

Actually, it wasn't the main female character in Tigana - but the fact that a book that began with a quote from Dante's inferno failed quite to prepare me for the unrelenting nature of the story itself... should have, but I was blindsided. A tribute to Kay that I havent forgotten, though I read the tome years and years ago.

Lions is my favorite for the incredible way he pitched the two main characters and built the conflict - a masterful handling of cultural clashes and friendships that crossed over boundaries - that, too, was unrelenting, but the ending left me breathless with wonder.

Tigana, as intended, left me sorrowful and sad. I had not expected to be haunted.

By Derek Coventry on Wednesday, April 05, 2006 - 03:25 am: Edit Post

Thanks for the input on Isavalta but to stop myself peeping into Firebird's I started to re-read Snyder's New Moon. I calculate I first read it about 14 years ago and though my funny memory means I can re-read it as a fresh book I can still remember the frustration I felt when I couldn't get the third of the trilogy from any of my local shops. Well yesterday I found it on Amazon so I have plenty of reading for the moment. Mind you I'm brimming with anticipation after reading Janny's latest Status Report!

By Jane on Wednesday, April 05, 2006 - 09:10 am: Edit Post

Great books, both of them. I loved the ending for Arbonne. I love the way Kay brings some closure for Duke Bertran (trying not to be spoilerish here!). Somehow I never really came to love the characters in Tigana the way I did those in Lions and Arbonne. They were SO real that I felt a genuine sense of loss when the stories ended.

A very strange thing happened with his latest, the Last Light of the Sun. It took me forever to finish it. I will have to reread it sometime, when I've distanced myself a bit from the pain of it being my husband's last gift to me. At this point, I don't know if it was the story, or my own state of mind that prevented it from sweeping me away, and finishing it as fast as possible, as I did with previous books of his.

By winter on Wednesday, April 05, 2006 - 03:48 pm: Edit Post

Funny, I thought I posted last night but I don't see the message anywhere. Hopefully it's my browser and not the brain trauma playing tricks on me!

Arbonne was my least favourite, I love Tigana but also consider Lions of Al-Rassan the best. Lions is one of those rare books that makes me cry every time I re-read it, even though I know what happens. A friend of mine told me Guy Gavriel Kay is actually a professer at one of the southern Ontario universities (can't recall which one one) and she took a course on Fantasy by him. I think that would be one course I wouldn't groan at seeing the Professer put his own books on the required reading!

Jay Jay, I know you're in Toronto since you mention Bakka, which is indeed a great bookstore. But if you're as impoverished as I am and are interested in reading Kay's Last Light of the Sun, I saw the hardcover in Chapters for $7. I'm a little bitter since bought it for five times the price when it came out, but it's a steal if you haven't gotten it yet.

Has anybody read Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell? It was recommended to me but couldn't really get into it.

By Trys on Wednesday, April 05, 2006 - 04:07 pm: Edit Post

quote:

I'm a little bitter since bought it for five times the price when it came out, but it's a steal if you haven't gotten it yet.

It's important to remember than when you pay full price for a book the author is making money. If you buy remainders, it's likely the author will see nothing. I understand the circumstances of tight money but when possible try to support your favorite authors, especially if you want them to keep writing. :-)

Trys

By Janny Wurts on Wednesday, April 05, 2006 - 06:41 pm: Edit Post

Worse, remainders and used book sales do NOT count toward an author's "numbers" or sales figures..even a used book gotten thru Amazon..a sorrowful shortfall, that plays against a career....no offense to those who deal that way under the straps of financial constraint - just a hard fact of life, little known.

alot more than price tag matters, in this game of publications reaching a reader.

By Jane on Wednesday, April 05, 2006 - 08:41 pm: Edit Post

Winter, I got Last Light of the Sun shortly after it came out in hardcover. Indigo was selling it at a 30% discount, as part of a special promotion of Canadian authors, but I would have bought it discount or no discount! And then, Roger insisted on paying for it, as my 'birthday present'! :-)

By Derek Coventry on Thursday, April 06, 2006 - 04:20 am: Edit Post

For years in the UK many bookshops have been limited in the variety of authors offered.In 1974 I bought Aker's "Transit to Scorpio" an Orbit book published by Futura and I was able to buy the next three of the series but then no more were apparently published here. Then about ten years later I came across a couple of Daw's books which were 7 & 9 of the series. But it was not until this century that I was able to complete the set. (All 37!)
Still I'm having no trouble with Janny's books, though I'm buying them in Hardback because I don't want to wait for the paperback version.
Yesterday and today has brought me Patricia McKillip's trilogy.

By winter on Thursday, April 06, 2006 - 04:43 pm: Edit Post

Those discount books don't count towards sales numbers? And you don't see any money? Geez, I work in the music industry and thought things would work the same in book publishing as well.

Used book sales or those clearance book stores I understand as not counting towards sales numbers or getting money back to the writer, but sale items at major retailers? I guess in all arts industries the artist always seems to get the short end of the stick.

Out of curiosity, does the popularity of a book in public library systems count at all? Not as sales obviously, but as an indicator of the size of an author's fanbase (aka potential future sales)?