Archive through April 16, 2006

Janny Wurts Chat Area: Book Nook: Archive through April 16, 2006
   By Cheryl Detmer on Thursday, April 06, 2006 - 05:55 pm: Edit Post

I used to try new authors through used books but if I found one I really loved, I would buy the book in good condition and then buy more new regular priced books from that author. Used books are a good way to discover new authors and get more books for less but I got tired of dealing with used bookstores. Some books were in such bad condition, I couldn't stand to buy one that way anymore. I saw my last spilt coffee on a book. lol I do love to buy the hardbacks for authors I love like Janny when they first arrive on the shelves best, or the paperbacks in the regular bookstores. I get too anxious to read a book like one from Janny and when it first comes out, I have to buy it. Can't wait for the paperback. I'm just terrible that way. It's another year to wait for it and I just can't wait. me bad. grin

By Jane on Thursday, April 06, 2006 - 06:49 pm: Edit Post

Winter, discounted books like the one I bought DO count towards the author's sales. It's only books that have been 'remaindered' or sold as used books that don't. The remaindered books will have a slash of black marker put across the pages at the bottom of the spine and this 'damage' supposedly justifies selling them off for a couple of bucks. I imagine it also affects their resale value as used books once the book is out of print.

I don't understand why publishers can't sell them for the same price WITHOUT the remainder mark, and still allow them to count towards sales. For instance, I got a copy of Pratchett's "Wee Free Men" in hardcover for $5.00. It probably went so cheap because it's been issued in paperback already, and the publisher wants to get rid of its hardcover stock. A remaindered hardcover would sell for about that here in Canada, but this book was NOT remaindered, just sold at a discount. So, why can't all publishers do it that way, and give the poor author a break??

By Janny Wurts on Thursday, April 06, 2006 - 10:05 pm: Edit Post

The purpose of the "remainder mark" is to prevent booksellers from sending the hardbound title back to the publisher as a return, and collecting the cash refund.

By winter on Friday, April 07, 2006 - 12:46 am: Edit Post

Ah, okay. Then the $8 Last Light of the Sun at Chapters are not a remainders since I don't recall seeing any marks. It's good to know that most of my book purchases weren't entirely evil. Sounds like the book and music industries are pretty similar. Any CD you find with the barcode obscured (crossed with marker, hole punched, etc) or with an indent burned into the spine is a promo and the artist never sees a cent from it.

By Derek Coventry on Friday, April 07, 2006 - 04:24 am: Edit Post

I will be taking more care with my purchases in future to ensure the originators get their dues. I already do this with groceries etc. and will now do so with books.
Cheryl made me think of my youngest daughter (another bookworm) as she will take time in a bookstore to obtain the most pristine copy they have and then reads it by opening it as little as possible to avoid stressing the spine or marking any page. I daren't touch her books!

By Trys on Friday, April 07, 2006 - 11:10 am: Edit Post

Derek,

I was like that a number of years back... but it became increasingly difficult to find a copy of a book that hadn't had a little tear in bottom of the dust cover or the spine dented in a tad. The quality of the people handling the books had deterioted seriously.

Trys

By Bruce on Friday, April 07, 2006 - 03:46 pm: Edit Post

Just finished Anne Bishop's Sebastian which was excellent, I'm looking forward to the next volume of this duology next year. The local bookstore just called to tell me that Crystal Dragon & Balance of Trade by Sharon Lee & Steve Miller are in, so one of those two are next.

Bruce

By Sandtiger on Friday, April 07, 2006 - 10:41 pm: Edit Post

Ah yes, I still need to get Crystal Dragon. It's at Bakka, but other things pre-empted it. Like, er, overspending on books at Ad Astra. One of which was Anne's (Who was at the Con, and she really is this lovely person, and when she told me Sebastian wasn't, er - as - er, dark as her other books (which I couldn't read) I went out and got it.)

Speaking of books though, someone I know - Marie Brennan just had her first book published by Warner - It's called Doppleganger. I just picked up a copy for myself. She's the first person who I can say, "I knew here when!" ::laugh::

Sandtiger

By Jane on Saturday, April 08, 2006 - 06:42 am: Edit Post

We've already said that...with a certain Sandtiger!

I was up early on Saturday at Ad Astra, and Julie invited me to join her for brekky. Anne was one of the other people at our table. I agree, she really is very nice. But, aren't ALL authors??

By Cheryl Detmer on Sunday, April 16, 2006 - 10:03 am: Edit Post

lol Derek, that is how I am with books but sometimes, I do manage to stretch the spine more than I want to and make a mark in it. I do try to be careful with the paperbacks. The hardbacks are good that they don't get those marks in them to show you've read them and stretched it. When I get a tear on the side, I cringe and then go oh well, I tried to keep from it. lol I don't drink coffee so I don't have that worry of spilling it on the books. haha Good for your daughter to be so careful with precious books. That's how I think of them. Hi Jane, lucky you to eat lunch with Julie and Ann. They both seem like very nice people and authors are very nice. For someone that has been to celebrity boards and mingled with a few, I prefer authors and they are the nicest to be around and most fun.