Archive through February 20, 2007

Janny Wurts Chat Area: Book Nook: Archive through February 20, 2007
   By Derek Coventry on Friday, February 16, 2007 - 03:30 am: Edit Post

I've read a series "Last of the Renshai" set in a Norse Fantasy world which I enjoyed and have always intended to seek out more of her books; not something easily done in English bookshops before the internet.

By Sandtiger on Sunday, February 18, 2007 - 10:53 am: Edit Post

Not really sure where I should put this, but I thought I would let people know that I finally have a website! www.janapaniccia.com.

It's very simple, but at least will let people know who I am and what I've been up to. I post it here in case anyone is interested!

In terms of what I've been reading lately -- not a lot in the way of genre at the moment. Thanks to Naomi Novik (Temeraire/His Majesty's Dragon, Throne of Jade, Black Powder War), I've found myself interested in the Napoleonic Wars...so my subway reading of late has ranged from fiction novels about this period (by Julian Stockwin and Alexander Kent mainly -- I had already read the Horatio Hornblower books, and couldn't get into Patrick O'Brien ones...) to reference books covering the same time to get a sense of what reality was like.

Some fascinating stuff out there. The problem is, I find one thing interesting, and it leads to the next, and to the next...

Jana

By Janny Wurts on Sunday, February 18, 2007 - 12:26 pm: Edit Post

Jana - check out Bernard Cornwell - his Sharpe series is pretty cool - and an interesting hero. If you read the books, he's a lot more rough a character than the TV series portrays - I do recommend the books, if you like Napoleonic era...been listening to those novels unabridged on tape while painting.

By Neil on Sunday, February 18, 2007 - 04:23 pm: Edit Post

Bernard Cornwell has also done a nice "grail trilogy" and is it him who is doing alfred the great? I think so ;-)

- nice light reading but I haven't read any sharp novels

By Derek Coventry on Monday, February 19, 2007 - 05:14 am: Edit Post

I purchased Cornwall's "The Lords of the North" only last week and have yet to start reading it. It is the third of his Alfred era series and the first two were very enjoyable. I've avoided his 'Grail' books as my agnostic beliefs would probably nit-pick; but his Sharpe books are unputdownable. (now there's a word that should be in the dictionary!) I especially found the India campaigns interesting having researched my family tree and found several ancestors were in India throughout the 19'th century, first with the East India Company until later my Grandfather was a colour sergeant in Afghanistan 100 years ago. Family life with the army then was not a picnic.

By Joy on Tuesday, February 20, 2007 - 08:44 am: Edit Post

How fascinating to be able to trace your ancestry and find those connections to the times you read about! I think it can make history much more real and personal.

By Jay_Jay on Tuesday, February 20, 2007 - 12:02 pm: Edit Post

quote:

Moorcock has been around a long time and is a rather prolific writer. His Elric series of the Eternal Champion collection are magnificent..

Did you know that Janny's husband, Don, has done some of Moorcock's covers? And magnificent covers they are, too!

I wanted to add a link, but it looks like Don's webpage is down right now. :-(

However, I did find this one on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Corum-Coming-Chaos-Eternal-Champion/dp/1565041968/sr=8-37/ qid=1171990693/ref=sr_1_37/103-9669736-0070235?ie=UTF8&s=books

Click on the book cover for a larger image.

By Trys on Tuesday, February 20, 2007 - 12:44 pm: Edit Post

http://www.paravia.com/DonMaitz

By Janny Wurts on Tuesday, February 20, 2007 - 01:15 pm: Edit Post

Applause for Jana's Website - I particularly liked the bit about throw someone off a cliff....(in the on writing section)

How true!

Last time I had a scene that crawled, I threw in an assassination attempt. Not a cliff, but an arrow from a balcony sure livened up the Talking Heads!!!

Yay Jana! (who is becoming a hot up and coming pro right before your very eyes!!!) (TRUTHFUL PLUG) Unlike many new authors, this one has Very Original Thinking in her stories - every one is a gem.
Check her out!

By Sandtiger on Tuesday, February 20, 2007 - 10:53 pm: Edit Post

::grin:: Thanks Janny.

As to the cliffs - oh yes. I've been debating getting a Tee Shirt made up -- It's become my motto for livening up stagnating situations. Although, I think I've only ever used an actual cliff once! (For anyone who has read my story in the anthology Children of Magic ... that's the cliff.)

Jana