Archive through May 31, 2007

Janny Wurts Chat Area: Book Nook: Archive through May 31, 2007
   By Jo on Sunday, May 06, 2007 - 02:01 pm: Edit Post

I was never a fantasy enthusiast when i was younger mainly John Grisham, Patricia Cornwall and the like. My first books were Lord of the Rings and then started to read Janny's books after a friend lent me Cotm, totally hooked read all her books now. Anyway that has lead me on to Raymond Feist read most of his read a couple of Gemmels which I enjoyed and read one of Tom Holts strange but quite amusing. Started to read The Tamuli trilogy by David Eddings. Can anyone suggest any other really good one off books or series. I prefer the really gritty I read a Winter Rose and a book about a girl whose brothers all turned in to swans which were nice books just not my thing really. Don't want to offend anyone but I do not like science fiction. Any suggestions

By starstorm on Sunday, May 06, 2007 - 08:30 pm: Edit Post

Jo,
Since you specifically said you prefer gritty fantasy, I'll recommend a couple of my favorites:

Carol Berg: Flesh and Spirit is her brand new one, the first of a duology, and certainly gritty. The second part will be published next January. Her Rai-kirah trilogy could probably also be considered gritty, but she's one of my favorite authors along with Janny, so I might be a bit biased :-) The titles in that trilogy are Transformation, Revelation, and Restoration.

C.S. Friedman: Coldfire trilogy (Black Sun Rising, When True Night Falls, Crown of Shadows), and also her brand new one, Feast of Souls, that begins The Magister trilogy.

Lois McMaster Bujold: She has three books that are related, but aren't really a trilogy: The Curse of Chalion, Paladin of Souls, and The Hallowed Hunt.

Robin Hobb: Probably any of her series could be considered gritty, but I'd recommend starting with the Farseer trilogy (Assassin's Apprentice, Royal Assassin, Assassin's Quest)

Sarah Monette: I'm really close to being finished with the first book of her trilogy, Melusine, (the second is currently out in hardcover, and the third is due out in August; The Virtu & The Mirador, respectively) and I like it quite a lot. Definitely gritty

George R. R. Martin: He's a little *too* gritty for me, but I enjoyed the first couple of his current Song of Ice and Fire series. There are currently four books out currently. A Game of Thrones, A Clash of Kings, A Storm of Swords, & A Feast for Crows

Hope that helps :-)
~Anna

By Jo on Saturday, May 12, 2007 - 09:43 am: Edit Post

Thanks starstorm. Went on Amazon uk the other day and someone had listed their top 10 fantasy books. Thought I would try the Summoner by Gail Z Martin. Loving it. Limited time with the kids so haven't finished it as yet have to wait till next January for the second installment. I had half read Robin Hobbs Assassins Apprentice but couldn't get into it. I think I will try again as a lot of people have recommended it.
Thanks again (I don't think as yet the summoner is really really gritty but I like it anyway)

By Artemis on Sunday, May 13, 2007 - 01:03 pm: Edit Post

Hello

Have been reading and enjoying Jim Butcher's 'The Dresden Files'.

Don't know if they qualify as fantasy but never mind eh?

Artie

By Catherine Britt on Wednesday, May 16, 2007 - 12:55 am: Edit Post

Hi

Thought you might like to know about a new Australian science fantasy author - Alison Croggon. She is also a poet and writes for theatre. Her new books - 1 - the gift. 2 - the riddle.

Stephen Donaldson has also written a new sequel to his chronicles.

By Jo on Friday, May 18, 2007 - 01:35 pm: Edit Post

Reading the innocent mage by Karen Miller. Pretty good so far final part is out today I believe The Awakened Mage. Will let you know how i get on with that once I have got it

By Catherine on Sunday, May 27, 2007 - 07:47 am: Edit Post

There are also some other SF names that have not been mentioned before - about 1980s:
Lyndon Hardy - secrets of the five magics, secret of the sixth magic
Susan dexter - the winter king's war trilogy
William Horwood - Dunction wood, dunction tales etc
Angus well - book of kingdoms trilogy
Megan lindholm
Maggie Furey
Jenny Jones
Diana Paxson
randall Garrett & vicki Heydron - science fiction

By Trys on Sunday, May 27, 2007 - 11:17 am: Edit Post

I believe Megan Lindholm has been mentioned in conjunction with her pseudonym, Robin Hobbs. :-)

By Catherine on Monday, May 28, 2007 - 12:29 am: Edit Post

Thanks Trys
Did not remember that.

By Kitsune on Thursday, May 31, 2007 - 03:42 pm: Edit Post

Just finished "The Name of the Wind" by Patrick Rothfuss.

Quite engrossing, and a spectacular debut novel!

I'd higly recommend it to fantasy fans.