Archive through September 04, 2007

Janny Wurts Chat Area: Book Nook: Archive through September 04, 2007
   By Jo on Wednesday, June 13, 2007 - 07:42 am: Edit Post

Hey Artie picked up book 2 of the dresden files after you mentioned them never read them before how great are they. Nice easy read.

By DarthJazy on Friday, July 20, 2007 - 03:24 pm: Edit Post

I recommend Darth Bane Pathway of distruction.

Gives some good insight to the sith

TO get a new a different look on the sith read Legacy of the force :betrayal

THis is the first book in the series and it explores of what the sith were ment to be maybe

muwhahahaha

By Janny Wurts on Tuesday, August 07, 2007 - 05:35 pm: Edit Post

If anyone's looking for a good read - that ought to have more spotlight - I highly recommend Inda by Sherwood Smith, and its sequel The Fox, just out.

The books have a lovely weight and depth, well developed characters, and a deepening sense of cool stuff as the intrigue deepens, not just in the main character's frame of reference, but in the political shifting on both sides of the conflicts.

Expect you may have to let this world work its way into your senses, a bit - but the payoff when it starts happening is really worth it.

The nautical sections are nicely done, without being overdone....

Do get both books at once, if you can - you won't want the wait to keep going.

And the cover art's spectacular, for a bonus.

By Sandtiger on Saturday, August 18, 2007 - 10:53 am: Edit Post

Oooh. Good time to read your recommendation, Janny!

Just picked up INDA yesterday - I look forward to it. I was curious when I saw it way back when in hardcover, but didn't want to try it until the paperback came out.

And for those wondering, I just got back from my travels (Two weeks in Australia and a week in training). Almost forgot what my apartment looked like!

Jana ::Looking forward to a weekend of relaxing before diving back into things::

By Trys on Saturday, August 18, 2007 - 12:14 pm: Edit Post

Sandtiger,

I also took Janny's recommendation on the Sherwood Smith titles and order both Inda and The Fox... but I won't be reading them until I finish Jennifer Roberson's Deepwood and then a book I've been puttng off for far too long, Guy Kay's Ysabel.

Trys

By Frank T Davis on Tuesday, August 21, 2007 - 12:24 am: Edit Post

Thank you very much Janny, Sandtiger and Trys for info on the latest from authors who I truly enjoy reading. I will definitely order copies of "Spirit and Flesh" by Carol Berg; "Deepwood" by Jennifer Roberson and "Ysabel" by Guy Kay. Will also order "Inda" and "The Fox" by Sherwood Smith.

I might recommend to you the trilogy "The Cloudmages" by new author, at least to me, S.L. Farrell. Titles include "Holder of Lightning", "Mage of Clouds" and Heir of Stone". Am about half through book three and find his work very enjoyable. It is Celtic based fantasy that rivals that of Katheiine Kerr which I have also truly enjoyed.

Found book two in hardback on sale for next to nothing and said what the heck. Read it and had to get books one and three. It's really nice to be able to sit down and read through a trilogy without the long waits between publications. Though with some authors, especailly those with publisher problems, it is definitely worth the wait. (Janny, I hope your current strategy pays off real soon in the U.S.). Will truly be glad Janny when you have completed "THe Wars of Light and Shadow" so I can read it through without distractions.

It is really nice to get suggestions for great reading entertainment while awaiting the publications of a couple of my most favorites: Janny, JV Jones, Steven Erickson and
George Martin. And it finally appears that Robert Jordan will bring his epic to a conclusion; I certainly hope so.
FRank

By Jo on Tuesday, August 21, 2007 - 03:52 am: Edit Post

I have just read the nightrunner series by Linda Flewelling (sorry if mispelt) think a couple of people just happened to mention them so thought I would give it a try, I love them and will make them one of my re-reads for definite.

By Trys on Tuesday, August 21, 2007 - 06:44 am: Edit Post

Frank,

Deepwood is book two. Karavans is the first book.

Trys

By BillBob on Tuesday, August 21, 2007 - 08:43 am: Edit Post

Ysabel by Kay, highly recommended. I finished it in a couple of days. It is loosely tied to his Fionavar Tapestry novels. Haven't been able to finish his Last Light of the Sun.

Just finished The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss. I am definitely looking forward to see his next effort.

And will definitely look at Sherwood Smith's latest efforts. Sounds intriguing.

By Frank T Davis on Tuesday, September 04, 2007 - 01:46 am: Edit Post

Have just finished reading Carol Berg's latest "Flesh and Spirit" which is like all of her work, fantastic. It was a bit difficult to get into for the first 40 pages or so but then it became spellbinding. She introduced some people and some terms which were explained later. This caused some discomfort for me as I'm definitely a linear right brain dominant type. (At least this is how my wife describes me). It is a novel that is extremely difficult to put down, even to sleep. The major disappointment is it ended and I'll have to wait until January 2008 to find out what else happens to Valen and learn how it ends.

To further fuel my yearning for the rest of the saga, Carol included an eight page excerpt from book 2 which is the conclusion.

Highly recommend it for some really well written and very enjoyable fantasy.

Frank