Archive through November 12, 2007

Janny Wurts Chat Area: Book Nook: Archive through November 12, 2007
   By Trys on Friday, September 21, 2007 - 05:59 am: Edit Post

Leonie,

Here in the States, such a garment is called a 'tube top'... glad you had a good laugh... hope you weren't drinking anything at the time. <grin>

Trys

By Angus on Friday, September 21, 2007 - 07:24 am: Edit Post

Leonie:

What a great name for that garment! It's a tube top in Canada too, but boob tube is more accurate, because they were known for being notoriously unreliable in staying up! There was often more "boob" than "tube".

Boob tube is an accepted slang for television (also known as t.v., but my parents called it the "idiot box", probably due to the quality of my homework) in Canada. "Watching the tube" is a relativly old expression, and no doubt springs from the old tubes used in televisions until the dawn of digital age.

Boob tube. That's a good one!

By Frank T Davis on Wednesday, October 10, 2007 - 10:41 am: Edit Post

Thank you Janny for recommending "Inda" and "The Fox" by Sherwood Smith. They are truly outstanding books. Can hardly wait for the third in the series. Ms. Smith is a new author for me, one I am truly glad to add her works to my library.

And thank you Tryst for recommendinmg " Karravans" and "Deepwood" by Jennifer Roberson. Both are very good reads as is all of her writings. I was a bit disappointed that "Deepwood" ended so soon. Wish she had added another 300 or so pages. Then it would have truly been a great read.

Frank

By seljo on Tuesday, October 23, 2007 - 02:28 pm: Edit Post

Stephen R. Donaldson has published his second book (of four) in his Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant entitled, Fatal Revenant. I'm reading it now and it is Fantastic! I won't say more for fear of spoiling...

By Frank T Davis on Tuesday, October 23, 2007 - 04:42 pm: Edit Post

Thanks for the info Seljo. I read "Runes of the Earth" last November and have been awaiting book 2. Will definitely order it.
Frank

By Konran on Saturday, November 03, 2007 - 05:22 pm: Edit Post

I just recently finished "The Lies of Locke Lamora" and its sequel, "Red Seas Under Red Skies", by Scott Lynch. Great fantasy about a con artist and the troubles he gets into.

By Cheryl Detmer on Saturday, November 10, 2007 - 07:48 am: Edit Post

I have the book Lies of Locke Lamora and heard good things about it. Can't wait to read it soon. I'm finishing a few books now and just ordered Janny's, Stormed Fortress from the Amazon UK. I just found out about it out the other day and quickly went to order it. I have so many good books I'm reading now too. I'm so behind in my reading it's so sad. LOL

By DarthJazy on Monday, November 12, 2007 - 11:19 am: Edit Post

Clansman:

The author of the 2 sereis that blen scifi and fantasy is Piers Anthony.

The first I recommend Are "The Incarnations of Immortality." first book is On a Pale Horse"

the next series is "The apprentice Adept" probably a better blend of the two as it gets way into both. I think the first book for this would be "Blue Adept" not sure on the title though.

I Also Just started a new series by Terry brooks that combines his famous Shannara series and his the word and void series. I hope this book will not completely melt the story lines of the worlds.

Yes I took a break from the 3rd martin book because i have all the shannara books and when i saw a new one i flipped

By Clansman on Monday, November 12, 2007 - 02:21 pm: Edit Post

I read the Apprentice Adept series a long, long time ago. So long ago, that I had forgotten I read it. I remember it now, with that Ladder game thing, and the planet pludered of a particular mineral, and all of the working people naked, but in a very non-sexual way. As I recall, it was a little bit adolescent (hence the naked people!), but a classic of the paper-back science fiction I grew up with.

I think Janny's blend of sci-fi and fantasy is far more seemless, and way more grown up. It's also a back drop as opposed (at this point) to a major plot device. That's probably why I had forgotten about the Blue Adept.

Brooks has done it also, it a manner that is similar to Janny's (fairly seemless), at least in the early books. He has taken it a different route though, with just being on earth (at least where I left off).

By DarthJazy on Monday, November 12, 2007 - 03:53 pm: Edit Post

Im Reading something recent called the Genesis of Shannara Armageddons Childen.

now that im reading more into its not really a merger as showing how science kills us and going back to magic.

I admit the adept series is adolescent but hey that was when I read it. Try the Incarnations of imortality more grown up and it gets into magic science and religion in a superb plot twisted way great for agnostics