Archive through November 20, 2007

Janny Wurts Chat Area: Book Nook: Archive through November 20, 2007
   By BillBob on Monday, November 12, 2007 - 04:27 pm: Edit Post

I'm way behind on my Shannara reading and never read that Word and the Void series he wrote, although I understand it is a prequel to this series.

Apprentice Adept, haven't thought about that series in I don't know how long. There were seven of them when he finally quit on that series as I remember, Split Infinity, Blue Adept, Juxtaposition, Out of Phaze, Robot Adept, Unicorn Point and Phaze Doubt.

As far as the Incarnations, another seven and an interesting take on the whole subject. I seem to remember reading somewhere that he was going to add a couple of new books to the series.

Found it: Under a Velvet Cloak from Mundania Press.

By Blue on Monday, November 12, 2007 - 08:27 pm: Edit Post

Apprentice Adept series is:

Split Infinity
Blue Adept
Juxtaposition

Years later, these are still backlisted - i.e. in print, and available at many bookstores. I LOVED that series, and hated the sequels produced for it.

By max on Thursday, November 15, 2007 - 07:37 am: Edit Post

You all have got to read 'Odd Thomas' by Dean Koontz. what an incredible story!!! it will really keep you in the seat for all the story.
[grinning at ya]

By Cheryl Detmer on Sunday, November 18, 2007 - 07:55 pm: Edit Post

I'm the same way with Shannara. Way behind and back on two series ago but I enjoyed it. Just didn't finish the third one and another is out now. I get so behind with so many good books out anymore. I can't keep up with them. Love Shannara though and will read them eventually. Same with David Eddings. got way behind on him but he's always a favorite. Carol Berg's latest Flesh and Spirit is a great read. If you love Janny, you'll love Carol's work.

By BillBob on Monday, November 19, 2007 - 12:03 am: Edit Post

I will probably read the Shannara stuff at some point and the related ones at some point. Eddings, I read the Redemption of Athalus and I felt it was the same general story as his other work and I got bored. I finished it just because I hate starting something and not finishing it. I haven't bothered to pick up his Elder Gods series after I read the first few pages in the store. Just didn't interest me. I saw Carol Berg's new book in the store the other day and I really enjoyed her Bridge of D'Arnath series, which has been the only thing I've read of hers.

My sister has been bugging me to read the Odd Thomas stuff from Koontz as she really liked it as well.

Current reading projects include, Stormed Fortress, imagine that, Clan Corporate by Stross, Thraxas and the Dance of Death by Martin, I think his name is,and Sandworms of Dune and that is it at the moment. Waiting in the wings is Song of Ice and Fire, which I am also way behind on reading. After that, who knows, I have a vast selection of books that I haven't read yet, so its just a matter of picking something and reading it.

By DarthJazy on Monday, November 19, 2007 - 11:46 am: Edit Post

My Next project to read will be the Legacy of The Force series from starwars 7 books in all

SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER

The new sith lord is going to be Jason woohoo hans and leias son. Although this may not be a spoiler cause if you have followed the story at all and read the last series which is huge you should be able to know this was coming sooner or later.

By skeoke on Monday, November 19, 2007 - 03:03 pm: Edit Post

Has anyone else read Name of the Wind by Rothfuss??

'Kay, I was originally attracted by the Green Man on the cover, but I loved this book. And, oddly enough, my husband liked it, too. So, maybe it will appeal to a broad spectrum of people.

By BillBob on Monday, November 19, 2007 - 03:38 pm: Edit Post

Skeoke,

I picked it up on a fluke and loved it as well. Can't wait to see what he does with the sequels. I found the narrative style to be different from the usual (not Janny's) run of the mill fare.

Bill

By Clansman on Monday, November 19, 2007 - 04:06 pm: Edit Post

Anyone heard of David Anthony Durham?

I picked up his book Acacia on spec. Haven't cracked it yet, but it looks good.

It was a rather adventurous purchase for me, especially considering that it is a hardcover. I usually only go with the tried and true.

Any thoughts on J.V. Jones Ice series?

By Konran on Tuesday, November 20, 2007 - 03:37 pm: Edit Post

I also loved the first three of the Apprentice Adept series and didn't care so much for the sequels =/ I'm finding myself growing more disenchanted with Piers Anthony as I get older. When I was first getting into sci-fi/fantasy I liked him but now that I've broadened my horizons a bit he just seems a little stale (especially when compared to the likes of Janny, George Martin, etc.)

Right now I'm rereading through Sarah Monette's Melusine books in preparation for reading the third one. These are pretty good, and the trilogy is, in order:

Melusine
The Virtu
The Mirador

With the two main characters being a crazy wizard and a thief named Mildmay (short for Mild-may-your-sufferings-be-at-the-hands-of-the-wicked -- his mother "got religion" just before he was born) how can you not be intrigued?