Archive through May 24, 2008

Janny Wurts Chat Area: Book Nook: Archive through May 24, 2008
   By Trys on Monday, May 05, 2008 - 02:47 pm: Edit Post

Clansman,

Have you finished read Deadhouse Gates?

By Clansman on Monday, May 05, 2008 - 03:57 pm: Edit Post

NO, DARN IT! I have been unusually busy at work the last month or so, and as a result, after the kids are in bed, and I have managed to grunt something about my day to my wife, I can barely press the "on" button on the remote, let alone read.

I'm at about page 110, and it's getting good (I read some on the weekend, about half-an-hour). The thing sits there and taunts me!

I need a break. A long one. My TBR pile has fallen over, and I have just decided to put them all on the shelf for now.

By Mark Stephen Kominski on Sunday, May 18, 2008 - 11:41 pm: Edit Post

They're working on that osmosis thing for you now, Clanny. Place book on head, close eyes and engage in mental slurping.... ;)

Cheers over here, BTW, and you too, Greebo! If you're not placing me, "Scarpdale" should ring a bell...

By Clansman on Tuesday, May 20, 2008 - 08:15 am: Edit Post

GRIMWARD!!! Also known as "the Grim One", "Grim", or, more familiarly, as "Grimey"!

Excellent posts, btw. You really killed us on the Tolkien quoting trivia with that last one.

I tried sneaking DH at work, but a few pages two or three times a day during short breaks is worthless for that book. Too much like losing your train of thought. I keep on ending up back at the station. I'll take it camping this summer.

By Mark Stephen Kominski on Tuesday, May 20, 2008 - 09:25 pm: Edit Post

Well met, my friend.

Re the Tolkien quotes, I looked at it when I wrote it and said to myself "I don't know that I would figure it out if I had a month"...it WAS pretty vague, at least to start with.

Bringing the book to work...more power to you! I barely get time to breathe at work!

By hosanna on Tuesday, May 20, 2008 - 11:14 pm: Edit Post

have others read Obernewtyn?

I just read the five published books and although i really enjoyed them and want to see what happens next I had a horrible dream about torture after reading the latest one and I'm not sure I should continue when the next one eventually comes out.

I used to read Dean Koontz novels but stopped because they were too dark and i couldn't stop thinking about the nasty situations.

Other books have featured torture like some of Ray Feist's for example and Obernewtyn never even got so specific as his descriptions. The books aren't as well written either. The breadth of the ideas is marvellous with some wonderful 'moments' but I'd love to give them a good edit.

Anyway, it seems weird not to finish a series. What do you think?

By Trys on Wednesday, May 21, 2008 - 05:07 am: Edit Post

Clansman, any progress? I'm well into Memories of Ice.

By Clansman on Wednesday, May 21, 2008 - 07:19 am: Edit Post

Alas, I have only gone on a few pages. I am mired in a series of small trials, and together with family responsibilities, there is no room for leisure reading.

I did manage to read a whole chapter last night, though. It really is a good book, and the tension is building, if I could only sustain my reading. I'll get a chance this weekend to put a few hours of quality reading time together.

By BillBob on Friday, May 23, 2008 - 09:06 pm: Edit Post

I don't know if anyone follows Robert Lynn Asprin's work, Thieves World, Phule's Company, the Myth Adventures, etc, but, he has passed away. He passed in New Orleans on May 22nd.

By Janny Wurts on Saturday, May 24, 2008 - 10:06 am: Edit Post

I heard the sad news yesterday - we have lost a light. Bob was the funniest person I have ever known, I about have the busted ribs to prove it.

If you EVER sat on an author's panel next to Bob, you knew you were doomed to slide under the table, snorting back laughter from his sotto voce commentary.

He wrote good books too.

Another out of the ranks who will be sorely missed...