Archive through May 19, 2010

Janny Wurts Chat Area: Book Nook: Archive through May 19, 2010
   By Hunter on Wednesday, February 10, 2010 - 04:27 pm: Edit Post

Is there such a thing as "new" star wars? My kids watch the Clone wars animation and it seems like a re-hashing of old Star Wars stuff for a new generation.

I don't think George Lucas is ready for a well developed, intricately carved female character in the Star Wars world.

By DarthJazy on Wednesday, February 10, 2010 - 11:29 pm: Edit Post

He had one named mara jade but i wont say more cause it would be a spoiler. and if you read the EU it goes way beyond the basics

By Tadgh Moriarty on Monday, April 12, 2010 - 07:10 am: Edit Post

My two cents.
Malazan Book of the Fallen - Steven Erikson - series
The Name of the Wind - Patrick Rothfuss

Erikson's books are great. A barrage of characters with a looping timeline makes it great for rereading. I don't know how many times i've reread the series so far. There's always an itty bitty piece of info i may have glanced over and with each new book you may gain a different perpective on one if not many of the characters. Also most of the characters do grow and the author does not shy away from killing off some the main characters which makes it all the more satisfying if a bit traumatic to the reader if you liked the character.

Rothfuss' series is a change of pace focusing on one character. Tis only the first book thats out but I found it to be a good read start to finish

By Konran on Saturday, May 15, 2010 - 01:09 pm: Edit Post

C.J. Cherryh's newest, Deceiver, is out, and as always a fun ride. I think there are some other Cherryh fans on the board, thought I'd drop that little hint ;)

By Trys on Saturday, May 15, 2010 - 03:51 pm: Edit Post

Konran,

There are other Cherryh fans here. I'm one. I've bought the book, but I've gotten behind on reading this series. I've bought them all though and will read them at some point.

I just finished Greg Keyes's The Briar King and enjoyed it. I found it to be better than I expected based on the first couple of chapters. The plot is twisty and interesting. I found myself caring about the the main characters a great deal. Be aware this is a book of shifting multiple points of view and that may have been what threw me off at first. One downside, this is the first book in a series(?). There are at least three of them so far and I've bought the next one.

By Mark Stephen Kominski on Saturday, May 15, 2010 - 05:34 pm: Edit Post

Reading Tad Williams' Shadowrise, and liking it....

By Frank T Davis on Monday, May 17, 2010 - 08:44 am: Edit Post

I have read all of the Fantasy that C.J. has written and enjoyed her novels greatly. She is a fantastic writer. Far too much great fantasy to read yet before I venture into reading SF.

Have started reading Russell Kirkpatrick's "The Fire of Heaven" trilogy and am enjoying it. It follow`s the typical good vs evil with a group of diverse individuals getting together to engage evil. He has just enough twists to keep the reading very entertaining.

After completing this series I will likely read Tad Williams' "Shadowrise", volume three of "Shadowmarch". Also a very good read.

After that, I will likely read Carol Berg's latest, "Spirit Lens", another author who I enjoy greatly.

Then I will start on Jim Butcher's "Dresden Files". I recently read his "Codex Alera" saga and really enjoyed it.

Hopefully, by this time Ms Wurts will have gifted us with volume 9 of her most entertaining and enjoyable saga. Just looked back at "Stormed Fortress" and was surprised to note that it was published in '07.

Frank

By Hunter on Monday, May 17, 2010 - 06:41 pm: Edit Post

Thanks Konran for the tip on Deceiver. The Foreigner series is very enjoyable.

By Janny Wurts on Tuesday, May 18, 2010 - 12:37 pm: Edit Post

My favorite read lately has been Carol Berg.
I also HEAR wonderful things about Cherryh's Deceiver and Kay's Under Heaven. Those are stacked waiting until I turn in this book.

Frank T. Davis - I am marking up past the halfway point for final polish on the FINISHED draft of Initiate's Trial. Turn in will be very soon, now.

Yes, it was 07. I have gone as fast as I could...I lost my Dad, have had to do more for my Mother, since, but mostly - this was the start of an ARC. There was a similar slog to get done with Fugitive Prince. More, until the British deal went through, I had no idea what lay ahead. I actually wrote 3 chapters of another standalone (maritime fantasy) thinking I'd have to start over completely in the USA - but then the import contract worked out, and the rest of the series went under contract. Add to the fact this manuscript went 200 pages LONGER than I'd hoped...and you have the time delay. I simply cannot go any faster, and maintain the quality.

You will get blown away with Initiate's Trial - I've taken every step to be certain it is up to or crackingly faster paced than Stormed Fortress - we are past the tipping point in the series, in total, now, and the pace will NOT LET UP.

By Ashley Reay on Wednesday, May 19, 2010 - 09:00 pm: Edit Post

Thanks for the recommendations guys:D I've had a dry spell searching for good new books for the past few months. It was horrible.

I recommend Jacqueline Carey's Kushiel's Dart and it's series. I bought the book during a summer vacation and by the time the next summer vacation came along, I'd reread it 5 times. Three trilogies (the third's in progress) with three very different main characters and I find it fascinating how she's able to change her writing style to reflect the character's personality. Another good read is Brent Weeks' Night Angel Trilogy.

Can't wait for Initiate's Trial!!! So excited!!!!!