Book Nook

Janny Wurts Chat Area: Book Nook

By Trys on Saturday, September 08, 2012 - 05:39 pm: Edit Post

According to the list of titles in the front of The Wild Road there is at least one more book after this one. It indicates that volume four is Dragon Moon.

There are also two more Tiger and Del books, Sword-Bound due out in March 2013 and Sword-Bearer.

By David Gardner on Sunday, September 09, 2012 - 09:10 pm: Edit Post

I just finished reading this year's "Best Novel" Hugo, Jo Walton's Among Others. It was an interesting read, written as a series of diary entries by a teenage girl in 1979 UK struggling to live with the aftermath of a horrible accident.

I enjoyed it and would recommend it, although I had a few problems with the book-- the protagonist is an avid reader and although I had read a lot of the books she talks about there were way too many that I'd never even heard of; a "younger" reader would almost certainly have never ever any of the books she talks about except for Narnia and LOTR.

I also felt the like the society she was describing was more 1950s Britain than 1970s/1980s; it didn't depict any of the massive changes that were occurring at the UK at the time (start of Thatcher's rule!).

Anyone else read it?

By Neil on Saturday, October 20, 2012 - 07:09 am: Edit Post

For some lighter/easier reading this year - I enjoyed some Joe Abercrombie's first law trilogy...and shadow magic by John Lenahan

I bought under heaven by guy kay on kindle for reread on the move with my iphone yesterday :-)

I am considering going back to alan garner lacking inspiration from some new books...anyone have any recent favourites? (doesn't have to be fantasy)

By Trys on Saturday, October 20, 2012 - 09:00 am: Edit Post

Neil, if you have not read it already give Thomas Harlan's Wasteland of Flint a try. First in a series that deals with the same main character.

By Auna on Sunday, April 21, 2013 - 09:39 am: Edit Post

Nobody has recommended books in ages...

I'd like to suggest "The Name of the Wind" by Patrick Rothfuss. Book 2 - "The Wise Man's Fear" is out however book 3 won't be out until probably 2014. This is a pretty amazing first book for a new author who creates a very interesting story with very varied, fun, interesting characters. Even his side characters are well done.

I ran across his name when watching online lectures by Brandon Sanderson on how to write sci fi/fantasy (very entertaining and informative btw).

By Neil on Monday, April 22, 2013 - 12:03 pm: Edit Post

Name of the wind was good and wise man's fear pretty good. Book 3 I fear may be tragic. These are books so big I am glad I have the phone/kindle to read them on :-)

Try River of stars (what can I say? I like guy kay only a little more than Janny ;-)

I am currently reading "the heroes"...joe abercrombie which is kind of bizarre now I see my post from Oct 2012...

I have read some highly recommended sci fi this year (used sfsite.com):

Spin" by Robert Charles Wilson
ender's game by Orson Scott Card
Ready Player One by Ernest Cline is fun if you were a teenager in the 80s and know the video game references.

"Rivers of London" was fun too

I recently reread Ysabel and Initiate's trial too ;-)

I see "The Republic of Thieves" may be out later this year.

Robin Mckinley's shadows also later this year.

Jo Walton's Among Others (mentioned above) is on my to read list but I could not quite get into it when I read first few pages...some books I am not ready (yet) to read?

By David Gardner on Tuesday, May 28, 2013 - 06:36 am: Edit Post

There's a discount book store called Kelly's on George Street in Sydney that's closing down. I've bought a lot of books from there over the years, so I popped in this evening to see what they've got.

They've emptied out their storeroom and filled a shelf with Janny's back catalogue: http://imgur.com/b0mUYKj

I know there's a few Sydneysiders floating around, so if you ever wanted a copy of some of the harder to find books like Sorceror's Legacy or That Way Lies Camelot and couldn't find it, they've got them. Some of the paperbacks are in pretty poor condition generally, but they're approx. $5 a book.

By Neil on Thursday, October 10, 2013 - 05:39 am: Edit Post

"The Republic of Thieves" came out on my kindle today

Scott Lynch and Patrick Rothfuss look to be visiting "Forbidden Planet" bookshop in London, UK soon.

Robin Mckinley's Shadows is winging its way in the post today too...

But I have "best served cold" and "the city and the city" on the go first...decisions...decisions...hmm...

By Neil on Friday, October 18, 2013 - 08:40 am: Edit Post

Can anyone recommend the first dorothy dunnett to read? Without me searching too much online :-)

I thought I would ask...I was curious about how Janny mentioned DD made you think about how you perceived the story and how you would have too re-evualate what you see initially (sound "familiar"?)

By Neil on Friday, October 18, 2013 - 08:48 am: Edit Post

please ignore / delete - just found my previous post on this...elsewhere :-)

By Neil on Friday, February 28, 2014 - 06:26 am: Edit Post

So far in 2014

Old Man's War - quite fun

King Hereafter - very good

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password: