Book Nook

Janny Wurts Chat Area: Book Nook

By Neil on Friday, February 28, 2014 - 06:26 am: Edit Post

So far in 2014

Old Man's War - quite fun

King Hereafter - very good

By Neil on Thursday, June 05, 2014 - 07:32 am: Edit Post

I really liked King Hereafter (read in Jan/Feb)...Hmm yes. Dorothy Dunnett did her research :-)

Failed to get into wasteland of flint, also could not get into some Jonathan Carroll books (saw a reference on sfsite.com) or Comac McCarthy...nor speaker for the dead.

I did finally read "among others". Interesting read.

I started "Game of Kings" this week. I wonder what other gems are out there, truly, what other good "older" books have I missed? These were written in 1960 & 1970s. I wonder how I missed these as a teenager when my local library would not have have had a huge selection of fantasy/historical fiction...and I played chess so would have remember the references in the titles if I ever saw them..."The Sunne in Splendour" I still recall even if I never open its pages....

I suppose lymond books may have been too hard to read if I had tried at the time anyway?

I think these books might keep me going until Destiny's conflict comes out :-)

I guess I may need a break from a long series now and again? Possibily time to reread "to ride hell'ss chasm" which someone else we know used as a break from a series ;-)

By Janny Wurts on Thursday, June 05, 2014 - 08:03 am: Edit Post

Neil, if you liked those titles, take a look at The Heaven Tree trilogy by Edith Pargeter; also two of my favorite books, ever, were Summer of the Red Wolf by Morris L. West, and also, The Horsemen by Joseph Kessel (book! not movie!!!)

Fantasies with mature angles of view and adult perspective, check Carol Berg, Barbara Hambly, Guy Kay, and in SF, R. M. Meluch's Merrimack series (very fun and wry humor); also her Jerusalem Fire was extremely deep and well done (more serious).

Katie Waitman's The Merro Tree (SF) was awesome and went totally under the radar, and also, Sarah Zettel's SF is stellar.

By Auna on Saturday, June 07, 2014 - 01:19 am: Edit Post

All of Barbara Hambly's stuff is available on Kindle so you don't have to go lurking in old book stores to try and find copies. I love the way she describes scenes and frequently cite the first chapter in The Time of the Dark for my friends as an example of the proper way to suck in a reader so they don't escape your book ;)

Other fantasy stuff I remember from the good ole days would include Jo Clayton, Louise Cooper, Sydney Van Scyoc, Margaret Weis & Tracy Hickman, Mickey Zucker Reichert, Anne McCaffrey, and Mercedes Lackey to name a few. Unfortunately most of these would require rummaging old book stores since I didn't see most available in ebook form, sadly.

The new Dresden Files book just came out and I enjoyed it, so if you haven't gotten into this series yet that's 15 books of awesome to occupy time while you wait for a certain book to get done ;)

By Auna on Saturday, June 07, 2014 - 01:30 am: Edit Post

Oh I should also mention Roger Zelazny since I'd put the Amber series in the fantasy section and he rocks as an author.

By Auna on Tuesday, August 19, 2014 - 09:37 pm: Edit Post

The Broken Eye, by Brent Weeks, comes out Aug 26.

I mention this since during my habitual obsessing about the release, I ran across Brent's Ask Me Anything and one of the posters mentioned 'Janmy' Wurts (yep her first name now has an 'm' in it).

According to the poster, Janny was bribed to kill off a character called Ardbeg in return for some fine scotch (or libation of choice) and artisan BBQ sauce. I'm definitely curious about how/where Ardbeg fits in. lol.

If you want to check out the Q&A out just hit the Reddit AMA link on Brent's page: http://www.brentweeks.com//

Oh there's also a link to chapters 1-9 if you absolutely can't wait a few more days and NEED a fix to tide you over.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password: