Book Nook

Janny Wurts Chat Area: Book Nook

By Clansman on Thursday, March 12, 2015 - 08:29 am: Edit Post

I just finished Guy Kay's latest, River of Stars.

My goodness, but that man can write!

I'll have to look up this Treadwell fellow, though...

By Phome on Tuesday, April 07, 2015 - 07:26 am: Edit Post

Desperate for new reading materials in fantasy/sci-fi (but not horror, or modern cross overs, nor King Arthur type stuff - by personal preference).

I'll be in a completely non-internet zone for about 3 weeks next month, so need to plan ahead. And some of the new stuff that looks great on Kindle is not available on Kobo (so sad :-( ).

Today, I decided perhaps I need to go back in time. I've never read any of the Pern novels or anything else by Anne McCaffrey.

Other thoughts?

By Phome on Tuesday, April 07, 2015 - 07:34 am: Edit Post

Oh, and also, does anyone have advice on how to get a legal copy of an e-book not yet available on Kobo.

For instance, Brent Week's book Blinding Knife. I think my Kobo will take any number of formats, but I know I cannot use the Kindle format.

I want to do this the right, ethical way, but am not well versed in this stuff.

By Maggie on Thursday, April 09, 2015 - 11:38 am: Edit Post

Phone,

The program called "Calibre" is an e-book management program that also has the ability to convert from one format to another. So long as you buy the book in one format, it seems to be able to convert them into a new format.

It should be legal to convert formats. I personally think it is also ethical, but maybe someone else will disagree with me.

By Trys on Friday, April 10, 2015 - 04:56 am: Edit Post

Calbre will not convert copy protected files. I.e., a protect Amazon Kindle format cannot be converted into a non-Kindle format using Calibre.

I used Calibre to create Janny's e-stories.

By Jim on Friday, April 10, 2015 - 06:04 am: Edit Post

Hi Phome, I strongly suggest reading the "Pern series" by Anne McCaffrey. She's one of my all time favorite authors. What other authors do you like, it would give us a better idea of the type of stories that interest you.

By Phome on Thursday, April 16, 2015 - 07:09 am: Edit Post

Hi all,

Thanks for the advice. I may look into Calibre - seems like this is the way to go. Found some other software too that can convert files that are not protected versions (Kindle, alas, remains for Amazon products). It seems a little jarring that we can buy a paper book and hand it to a friend for free. And anyone can read it. But suddenly the e-books are a whole different ball game. I'm not averse to paying for what I read, but that I'm also forced to invest in multiple electronic products I find very off-putting, esp as someone who is all about environmental sustainability.

Jim - thanks for the Pern series advice. I already bought a couple of the older books on kobo. And having read backwards through this thread, I also want to thank the person who recommended R.M. Meluch. Just finished reading The Myriad and it was great! Although the part 3 threw me off completely. It's been a while since an author made me readjust my entire world. Not sure I liked it, but I am starting book 2 anyhow :-)

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password: