Book Nook

Janny Wurts Chat Area: Book Nook

By Melanie Trumbull on Thursday, December 29, 2016 - 05:02 pm: Edit Post

Robin Jarvis is another fantasy writer with a strong online following and a fanfiction network inspired by his books.
I am just getting acquainted with him as a mature adult. Jarvis, a UK author, has been publishing "young adult" books, in groups/series of three, for a little over twenty years. So there is today a whole generation of adults who grew up with Robin Jarvis books in their adolescent years. Some of them still carry a torch for Jarvis's books and the worlds in them.
But in my native US, it is, Robin Who? People who read his books here, well, they do exist, but they are in the minority.

By Melanie Trumbull on Friday, May 12, 2017 - 11:33 am: Edit Post

Robin Hobb's book "Assassin's Fate" was released in bookstores, both brick-and-mortar and virtual, this past week. It concludes not only the current trilogy but also the entire Six Duchies world-building series of books -- her sixteenth.
I fear that this book would make a poor introduction to someone who has never before heard of Robin Hobb and her Six Duchies fantasies. Too much backstory and prior knowledge are needed in order to know what she is writing about.
That said, as conclusions go, this one sets the bar very high indeed. In fact I have to resort to one of those big Greek words that I mostly avoid using:
Apotheosis.

By Melanie Trumbull on Tuesday, January 23, 2018 - 08:38 pm: Edit Post

Ursula K. LeGuin has died.
1929 - 2018
She seems the last of a generation,
although this may be a mistake on my part.

In her final Earthsea volume (the fifth),
she remarked that life is a gift to mankind --
and that death is also a gift.

By Clansman on Wednesday, January 24, 2018 - 08:49 am: Edit Post

That was very well said, Melanie.

LeGuin was one of the pioneers, to be sure. I remember reading Earthsea with relish in one of the armchairs in my high school library. The Left Hand of Darkness is a seminal work in science fiction fantasy. She had a beautiful ancient myth-like quality to her writing in Earthsea, and it has been too long since I visited Ged, or recommended LeGuin to anyone.

By Auna on Sunday, February 11, 2018 - 09:56 am: Edit Post

At Janny's suggestion, I'm going to plug my own book which I'm quite proud of :-)

The Summoner and the Seer by C. Gold is a 102k word fantasy story about a wizard cursed to forget everything each sunrise, a woman who hates him because he murdered her family so she had him jailed and tormented as payback, and a vision which says she can let the world burn or break the wizard out of his jail, recover his memory, and hopefully save the world. This is book 1 in a planned 5 book series, but it has no evil cliffhanger, just nuances of trouble to come. So feel free to check it out. Available only on Amazon and free for people in the Kindle Unlimited program. (Best way for newbie authors to get exposure.)

I had a lot of fun writing this story, but had even more fun learning the whole self-publishing thing. I could run on about how enjoyable it is and how empowered I feel to be in charge of everything, but I'll just say this; it was and still is a heady feeling to have a paper copy of MY book in MY hand. My hubby thinks it's really cool too. And this month, I was never so excited to get tax forms in my life as when I received a tax form for my book royalties!

One last little personal nugget--I published my novel on the day of our wedding anniversary. I also gave the hubby a short story to read for his birthday. He was touched--he never had someone write him a story before. Yep, I'm rather enjoying this author thing! :-)

By Hunter on Wednesday, February 28, 2018 - 04:06 am: Edit Post

For those in Australia, you may seen that Ray Feist is touring in June!

By Melanie Trumbull on Thursday, May 03, 2018 - 12:42 pm: Edit Post

I have just discovered Neil Miller Gunn, better known as Neil M. Gunn or simply Neil Gunn.
This Scottish author was born as the nineteenth century became the twentieth, and lived through the nineteen-sixties, dying at an advanced age in his native Scotland.

By then, the great Scottish author Dorothy Dunnett was at her peak, writing elaborate historical fiction with intricate plots and mind-numbing detail. I'm just not smart enough for Mrs. Dunnett, I'm sorry to say. While she has all my respect, she has but little of my affection. I'm too simple-minded to delight in the multiple layers of her historical fiction.

Neil Gunn, however, is a writer I cannot resist. He comes out of a Scottish Highland ancestry with a great oral tradition. Although Gunn was raised without the Gaelic, and was limited to the varied forms of English and Scots, he cleaves, in spirit, to the Celtic bards. I delight in his English writing, and I agree with the North American critic who said, They don't write like this anymore.

"The Silver Darlings" was made into a film shortly after the book was published. The book is revered, the film was a failure. Since then John McGrath, he of "The Cheviot, The Stag, and the Black Black Oil," has adapted "The Silver Darlings" for the stage, where theatrical productions have been mounted with success. Maybe a remake, cinematically speaking, is in order.

But most enchanting of Gunn's work is two volumes in particular. One, a book of chapters like self-contained short stories (some began life as such, published in periodicals), called "Young Art and Old Hector"; and the later book, "The Green Isle of the Great Deep." Readers of all ages love these two books.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password: