WoLaS Associations

Janny Wurts Chat Area: General Discussion: WoLaS Associations

By StarGazer72 on Tuesday, September 27, 2005 - 09:16 pm: Edit Post

Funnily, I will always associate CoTM with the section in the corner of my library that I found it, even though I don't with any other book I found there. I was way too young at the time - about 11 - to understand all the subtle things going on, but loved it anyway and was bummed to think, like Konran, that it might be the only one, with just an open ending. Then, 2 years later, Ships showed up in my house as a Christmas present, and I pounced on it (even thought it wasn't for me). Been hooked all the years since then! :-D

By Cheryl Detmer on Tuesday, November 01, 2005 - 07:36 am: Edit Post

From a distance, in my bookstore, I caught this wonderful glimpse of two handsome brothers back to back. I had to see what this beautiful cover was about. I got it the first few days it was out on the shelves. It was like a halo was shining down on the brothers even then and shining on Lysaer's blond hair. It's been love at first sight with Arithon ever since. lol I was drawn to it like a magnet. Fun to remember how we first discovered the series.

By Ruth on Tuesday, February 23, 2010 - 08:11 pm: Edit Post

always with a library. found the first copy of ships of merior I ever read in a public library, back when the building still had tall metal shelves for books, and fiction was shoved off in a poorly lit and cramped corner, that was nevertheless wonderful for privacy reasons, forming dead-end passages with the shelving. Spent hours reading and reading Ships of Merior, and borrowed it out several times, and every other extent book written by Janny that I could find, in public libraries, secondhand bookshops that did book rentals, and bookshops.

By Maggie on Wednesday, February 24, 2010 - 12:00 am: Edit Post

I will always think of my freshman year collage dorm room, complete with falling apart desk, pictures drawn for me by my niece, and posters from my favorite football team ever, the STEELERS. Oh, and haylofts. :-) I was pretending to study, and decided to look up Janny's website (having read the cycle of fire a few years earlier). I read the excerpt in the hayloft... and then I went onto amazon and bought the book. I spent an anxious week waiting impatiently for it to arrive, immediately followed by a week of copying all my homework from friends.

On a totally unrelated note, you should never try to read one of Janny's books for the first time during your first semester at college, you you may almost fail out.

By Ruth on Wednesday, February 24, 2010 - 02:08 am: Edit Post

...so does that mean I shouldn't be trying to reread Janny's book during my final year in college?

By Lisa on Wednesday, February 24, 2010 - 07:35 am: Edit Post

I definately remember there being a drop in my grades whenever one of Janny's books came out, and Harry Potter... well any new book of one of my favorite authors really :-)

By Jeff on Wednesday, February 24, 2010 - 11:33 am: Edit Post

My introduction to Janny's writing was by way of the Empire trilogy (Daughter of the Empire, Servant of the Empire & Mistress of the Empire) co-authored with Raymond E. Feist.

I first saw Curse of the Mistwraith while browsing the fiction section at the library.

By Ashley Reay on Saturday, February 27, 2010 - 11:02 pm: Edit Post

I worked at my local library through high school and I remember looking at Curse day after day, but always passing it by. What an idiot I was! I finally took it out with a bunch of other books to take with me on vacation to my grandparents and immediately fell in love. As soon as I returned home, I frantically searched for the next book in the series... and then the next... and then the next..

By Janny Wurts on Monday, March 01, 2010 - 01:05 pm: Edit Post

Ashley Reay - and Jeff?
Due a welcome here, to you both!

By Jeff on Wednesday, March 03, 2010 - 02:16 am: Edit Post

Thanks, Janny.

I've been a longtime lurker and read posts by email subscription. I've posted before, but it's been a while.

By Ashley Reay on Sunday, March 07, 2010 - 03:28 pm: Edit Post

Hi Janny. I too have been lurking around this chat room. I love reading the discussions and hearing from you.

By Richard Myburgh on Thursday, December 01, 2016 - 05:57 am: Edit Post

It was my Biology Teacher that first found CoTM. His wife worked at a secondhand bookstore and my sister was helping out. I went there one Saturday afternoon to fetch her and bumped into my Biology teacher. Being Pagan, he thought that I would enjoy the story, so I took it. but as I was not a great lover of literature at the time, the book was left on my study table. it was only the December after I left school (2 years later) that I began reading the book out of boredom.

I kick myself every time for not reading the book sooner. :D

By Annabelle Ang-Bok on Thursday, December 01, 2016 - 07:49 pm: Edit Post

I stumbled upon Ships of Merior while browsing the library shelves. Upon discovering that I liked the writing (scanning a few random pages) and that it was not the first book in a long series, I set out on a quest to find the first book - I have a thing for reading stuff in sequence. So I ended up reading the Empire trilogy and the Cycle of Fire before I ever properly got into WoLaS... but it was more than worth the wait. :-)

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password: