Names

Janny Wurts Chat Area: General Discussion: Names

By Ypso on Monday, January 22, 2007 - 06:10 pm: Edit Post

I'm not sure if it's actually the right place for posting this, because it has nothing to do with the names of the Koriathain, but with names in general.

So I was really surprised and amused some time ago about HOW much Lysaer's name suits him. I presume that it's (like the other following names) just a coincidence that the first three letters of Lysaer's name, lys, are at the same time a Danish word which means "light" (or even "candle").

Another funny thing is the name of Kitz, a man-at-arms in the sunwheel company out of Etarra, who appears in "Peril's Gate". When reading his name for the first time there was a wide grin on my face, because in German Kitz terms a fawn or a kid. So it's a really cute and funny name for a warrior. ;-)

The last thing I found was that Dakar shares his name with the capital city of Senegal (tripped over it in a geography lesson years ago).

I hope I'll pick out some more such names sometime, because it really makes fun to find names from the Athera world in the real world. :-)

Ypso

(Message edited by admin on January 23, 2007)

By Blue on Monday, January 22, 2007 - 06:36 pm: Edit Post

I was doing a word search puzzle not too long ago, and the subject was "D" place names. Would'nt you know, one of them was Dakar? It was real tough to find, I might add. I got the giggles, thinking that perhaps Dakar was out drinking and wenching, and would be back later.

By Hunter on Monday, January 22, 2007 - 09:12 pm: Edit Post

So I guess you haven't been watching the famous Dakar rally that's just finished? A two week trial from Lisbon to Dakar through some very unfriendly terrain.. hard enough in a car, let alone a motorcycle or a truck!

By Hunter on Monday, January 22, 2007 - 09:19 pm: Edit Post

Janny pronounces his name as DAH-kar, the city is pronounced more DACK-ar..

Janny - you mention above "what is now the Koriathain".. was this order called something else prior to fleeing to Athera?

By Jeffrey L Watson on Tuesday, January 23, 2007 - 10:20 am: Edit Post

Ypso,

Something went awry in your post such that apostrophe's were showing up as question marks so I edited your post to correct these. :-)

Jeff Watson

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password: