Janny Wurts Chat Area: Screen Names????

Janny Wurts Chat Area: General Discussion: Janny Wurts Chat Area: Screen Names????
   By Clansman on Monday, December 03, 2007 - 04:08 pm: Edit Post

Here is a question that has been in my brain for a while. When I first became a member of the board, I used my own first name, but I immediately noticed a number of screen names. Eventually, I decided to join in, and took the name "Clansman" because:

1. I liked it;
2. I always liked the clans in WoLaS, and found their fight for not just survival but to maintain the Compact against impossible odds was admirable, though apparently suicidal; and
3. I am a descendant/member of the Highland clan Farquharson, the fighting men of which were practically slaughtered to a man at Culloden, so I could identify with Tal Quorin, and the concept of the winner writing history, no matter who was right or wrong.

The purpose of this thread is to find out the reason, should the user be willing to tell, behind a screen name. You do not need to reveal your real name unless you wish to do so.

For instance, we recently found out the genesis of the Gryphon, for Trystane. But what is the genesis of Trystane? I have always been curious about Laneth Shadow-Walker. And Blue, Hunter, Purple Penny, Sandtiger, Winter....and the rest!

BTW, I can partially guess Darth Jazy: the "Darth" part is easy, as he is a Star Wars fiend! But I don't get the "Jazy" bit. DJ, care to fill us in?

So how about it Paravia.com? Anyone using a screen name willing to tell?

By DarthJazy on Monday, December 03, 2007 - 05:19 pm: Edit Post

There are four reasons behind my three planned 1 unplanned.

1.) Darth - you got that right im a starwars junky and since darth means lord of all i liked it after reading DarthBane and while the sith are evil not all there view points of things are wrong in my opionon. ie the jedi allow the force to guide them in a blind faith church sorta way while the sith tend to want to control their own destinies and use the force to their own will. from there is where the evil comes being a problem as sith are greedy and care nothing for others which i then stop liking sith.

2.) Jazy - 1 z only never use two so im uniqe. This name was given to me cause i my favorit quote i used to recite when yojnger "groovy groovy jazzy funky pounce bounce dance as we trip in the melotic scene" I also have several DJISMS like groovy chicken, funky turky, Jazy piguin, great groping gorillas, and chipper man eating chipmunks. and these are just a few of the better ones.

3.) DarthJazy - I wanted a unique screen name for everything i do online which is a lot. I figured this would be it. So far I have never seen another DarthJazy and always get it as my pick for a screenname so if you ever see a DarthJazy as a member somewehre or on a board 99.9 percent certain its me.

4.) the unplanned one - I never thought of it till i came here actually when someone called me DJ. it turn out to fit my rl name because my middle initials are D.J. which my parents and family have always called me since im named after my Father Robert D.J. (lst nme omitted)I have tried for year to get my family to start calling me rob or robert as i am called at work but to no avail. I am currently debating as a good joke to change the meaning of my middle names leagly to Darth Jazy

Now for the trivia.

what do you think my real middle names are?

hint for D - means master of or King of

hint for J - means He shall Add/increase

dam i have put to much thought into my name hehe

By DarthJazy on Monday, December 03, 2007 - 05:23 pm: Edit Post

Change the Hint for D

it actually means "from the meadow" I used the meaning for Robert instead oops

By Trys on Monday, December 03, 2007 - 05:32 pm: Edit Post

Clansmen,

I used to be involved with Misty Lackey fandom. While doing that I developed an online character that was a gryphon (Misty has gryphons in some of her worlds) and he acquired the name Trystane as none of the other variations of Tristan were available as screen names on AOL (not even Drustan which surprised me) where I was a member when I was doing this. So Trystane, or Trys, has remained my moniker ever since.

By Blue on Tuesday, December 04, 2007 - 04:55 am: Edit Post

My full first name is Lynda-Marie, which I have NEVER liked.

Lynda is an alternate spelling of Linda (my mother's name) and Marie (my paternal grandmother) was supposed to be my middle name.

Too many years of being known as "Lin-DUH!" in school wore on my nerves too much, I guess.

Outside of mom's family in the South, no one EVER calls me Lynda-Marie anyway.

Another aspect of my first name I never liked was the Marie part - not because I disliked the name or disrespected my grandmother (whom I never met, by the way), but because my grandmother was an EXTRAORDINARY woman, by all accounts, and I don't think I could EVER be worthy of being named for a woman like her. Kind of a pressure I do NOT need.

When I was working at an answering service between 1990 and 1996, I was called Lynda by my co workers, and I tried using it when clients called in for their messages, "Hi, this is Lynda, may I have your account number please?"

Clients called me everything from Cindy to Wendy to Jennifer (???) and other variations, but NEVER Lynda. I might add that I have no accent, and as far as I know, don't have any speech impediments that might blur the name.

Then the company merged four offices into one, and there were suddenly FIVE Lindas in the office. Since Lynda-Marie seems to be a weird, taboo name that very few people can say, I opted to go by "Blue" my favorite color, and the rest, as they say, is history.

By Clansman on Tuesday, December 04, 2007 - 05:29 pm: Edit Post

Okay, we have four. What about the rest of you silent ones?

By Lyssabits on Tuesday, December 04, 2007 - 05:46 pm: Edit Post

My name is self-explanatory!

By Derek Coventry on Wednesday, December 05, 2007 - 03:52 am: Edit Post

I seem to have got things back to front when registering so you don't get to see my username, just my real name.
And I have a very close lady friend who also has the pet name of 'Blue'

By Trys on Wednesday, December 05, 2007 - 06:16 am: Edit Post

The software I use to run this chat area shows the 'full name' field with the posts. I have no idea why and so far as I know I've no control over it. So to have a nickname show up enter it there.

By Clansman on Wednesday, December 05, 2007 - 08:42 am: Edit Post

Lyssabits:

I must be dumb, as the only explanation that I can come up with is something to do with computers (hence the "bits") part. I have no clue as to the genesis of "Lyssa".

I guess Gollum would have eaten me in the caves under the Goblin King's hall.

Could you please self-explain your self-explanatory name?

By Lyssabits on Wednesday, December 05, 2007 - 12:37 pm: Edit Post

The genesis of Lyssa is that it's my name. =P Not the bits part, the Lyssa. It's the nickname my father gave me when I was a baby, because I was just a bit of Alyssa. As my twin sister Raina is Raiface. At any rate, it's not as exotic a handle as some of the others here, I figured it wasn't generating any curiosity.

By DarthJazy on Wednesday, December 05, 2007 - 12:43 pm: Edit Post

I assumed it had something to do with Lysaer

so any guesses on what D.J. really stands for?

By Derek Coventry on Thursday, December 06, 2007 - 04:16 am: Edit Post

David John would be the first choice, Dermot Jasper my second....

By DarthJazy on Thursday, December 06, 2007 - 10:40 am: Edit Post

nope ill give it another day then "do right" thing and spill.

side not my favorit name has always been Natasha because of what it says backwards

By Clansman on Thursday, December 06, 2007 - 02:44 pm: Edit Post

DJ:

Dale Joshua?

By Sarah Jump on Thursday, December 06, 2007 - 03:53 pm: Edit Post

Daniel Joseph???

By Clansman on Thursday, December 06, 2007 - 05:27 pm: Edit Post

Hey, where's Laneth Shadow Walker? That's got to be the coolest names on the board.

I am guessing that Winter, who is a fellow Canadian, has chosen that one for our famous season??

By DarthJazy on Thursday, December 06, 2007 - 06:05 pm: Edit Post

WTG SARAH you got the Joseph right

Clansman should be able to guess what D is since he is the most famous canadian in america and must always "do right" by law

By Julie on Thursday, December 06, 2007 - 07:24 pm: Edit Post

Dudley

By DarthJazy on Friday, December 07, 2007 - 11:29 am: Edit Post

there ya go julie so you all got it dudley joseph and yes my middle name is dudley
*waits for inevitable jokes* but ill stick to darth jazy

By Blue on Friday, December 07, 2007 - 12:49 pm: Edit Post

DarthJazy - there are some TRULY stupid names out there. I don't think Dudley fits into that category.

As mentioned, I was an answering service operator for 6 1/2 years, and we heard some DOOZIES, my favorite being (no kidding!)

Mr. Blankenshit

By DarthJazy on Friday, December 07, 2007 - 01:48 pm: Edit Post

yeah that one beats me but thanx to said cartoon I hear no end of the jokes as i am sure you can imagin

By Kelly Hayes on Friday, December 07, 2007 - 02:53 pm: Edit Post

I had the same problem but with a different twist. My maiden name is Joy, so I always got the Happy Happy Joy Joy song from the Ren and Stimpy cartoon. It got a lot worse around Christmas time with all the carols :P

My aunt works in NICU (a hospital's neonatal unit where preemie babies are taken care of) and one of the mothers in her unit who couldn't speak english named her child Pajamas because she saw it in a department store and thought it was a pretty name.

By Clansman on Friday, December 07, 2007 - 03:04 pm: Edit Post

Dudley Do-Right is the most famous Canadian in America?!?!?!?!?!? (pause while I rub my eyes)

I always knew that Americans in general tended to be somewhat lacking in specific knowledge of Canada (I think Douglas Adams' quote about Earth in the Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy is the way that the collective USA thinks of us: MOSTLY HARMLESS), but that is ridiculous. There is a famous show in Canada called "This Hour Has 22 Minutes", which is a satire based on the news of the previous week (the title comes from a news show from the 1960's called "This Hour Has Seven Days"). In it, a comedian named Rick Mercer goes to parts of the US and makes some blatantly, obviously silly, false statement about some development in Canada (e.g. the construction of our national igloo, or on building a clock in our nation's capital, etc.)and gauges/records their reactions. The results, to us in Canada, are quite hilarious. Every once in a while, someone would always clue in. The typical place for Mr. Mercer to go was prestigious US university campuses. He even managed to nail George W. Bush once, during the 2000 election, when he referred to our Prime Minister at the time as either Jean Poutine or perhaps John Crouton (his name is actually Jean Chretien). Bush's handlers totally missed it, and thought Mercer was a serious journalist. Bush acknowledged the Prime Minister of Canada as being either a dish of french fries with gravy and cheese curds, or a salad garnish (I forget which). The result was both funny and terrifying for Canadians. The last 7 years has borne proof of our terror.

As for famous Canadians, what about the following(feel free to add more, my fellow Canucks):

Wayne Gretzky (an easy one)
Mike Myers (Shrek, SNL, Austin Powers)
Jim Carrey (though he recently became a US citizen)
Alexander Graham Bell (invented the telephone)
Frederick Banting (invented insulin)
Nickleback
Bryan Adams (rock musician)
Rush (rock band, "Tom Sawyer", "Closer to the Heart", etc.)
The Guess Who (rock band, "American Woman", "These Eyes", etc.)
Lester B. Pearson (who invented the concept of U.N. Peacekeepers during the Suez Crisis)
John Candy (and most of the other SCTV alumni)
Dan Ackroyd (Blues Brothers, SNL, etc.)
William Shatner (Captain Kirk, went to my alma mater, McGill University in Montreal)
Lorne Greene

That's just a few, and yes, most of them are entertainers, but the list goes on. I didn't include those who are most famous to Canadians, as people of other nations, unless they really knew Canada, would be totally out of the loop.

Dudley the most famous Canadian in America? No way, man. No way.

By DarthJazy on Friday, December 07, 2007 - 03:37 pm: Edit Post

LMAO honestly i didnt know a one of those guys was from canada honestly. I doubt most common peeps even know it. and you forgot to add Terance and Phillip which may be more popular than all of them :P I do have a question. DO canadians really find fart jokes that funny? hehe and what with your flip top heads? hehe

And i got the most famous for Dudley Do Right from the family feud as one of their polls he was number 1

By Trys on Friday, December 07, 2007 - 03:39 pm: Edit Post

quote:

The last 7 years has borne proof of our terror.

Then imagine the nature of the gibbering horror that we 'enlightened' Americans must be experiencing... I keep my head down for fear of 'nuculer warfare'... :-)

Trys

By DarthJazy on Friday, December 07, 2007 - 04:52 pm: Edit Post

you mean he might use nukes I thought we were already on countdown to launch nukes. Dam it I alwaysw miss the good memos

By Derek Coventry on Friday, December 07, 2007 - 05:01 pm: Edit Post

After the fuss about the English teacher and the teddy bear's naming, I hear Sooty & Sweep have abandoned their proposed tour of Jamaica.
(an English jest!)

By Julie on Friday, December 07, 2007 - 05:22 pm: Edit Post

After the last "election" many of us Americans visited the Canadian immigration website. I came out with high points because of my profession, language fluency and age.THe hard part was convincing my family to make that kind of monumental move so we did not persue it. I wish we had.

I only knew about Dudley DoRIght because I'm of a certain age!

By Blue on Friday, December 07, 2007 - 11:39 pm: Edit Post

At least you're getting flak about Dudley Do-Right, and NOT Dudley Dursley - high amount of geek points if you know the reference.

By Wench on Saturday, December 08, 2007 - 12:59 am: Edit Post

Ahh Harry Potter :-)

By Auna on Tuesday, December 11, 2007 - 02:55 pm: Edit Post

Auna - short for Auna Ralirea which comes from 'aun ralirea' - a particular creature (tumerok) in Asherons' Call (old MMO).

Normally I use Gilthanos, an incorrect spelling of Gilthanas, a Qualinesti elf from Dragonlance. However, I started feeling guilty about using a name from an author's work, even an obscure one, so I picked Auna for this forum. I am actually female in real life too which works better.

By Artemis on Sunday, December 16, 2007 - 02:28 pm: Edit Post

Artemis - I chose this because it seemed more interesting than my real name, which begins with 'J' and is the same as a very attractive large-bosomed film star of the fifties and sixties. In fact most of the people I come across who carry the same name were born in the fifties (in England, anyway). There are never any princesses called by my name...sigh...

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password: