System Announcements

Janny Wurts Chat Area: System Announcements

This page will contain system announcements and information for users.

By Jeffrey L Watson on Sunday, February 18, 2007 - 10:14 am: Edit Post

I've had to change some of the settings on the board. Specifically, when a user registers, an e-mail address will now be required. Users will not longer be able to change their own e-mail addresses. If you need your e-mail address changed please contact me and I will do so for you.

I made these changes because of a couple of posts of a disparaging nature that were made this morning. Hopefully these additional requirements will help to dissuade this kind of activity.

My apologies if this inconveniences anyone.

Jeffrey L Watson

By Jeffrey L Watson on Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 02:57 pm: Edit Post

I've created a spoiler topic for Stormed Fortress now that author's and reader's copies are out (note: reader's copies are sent to reviewers and bookstore owners). The Traitor's Knot spoiler topics have been merged into the Traitor's Knot topic and the spoiler rules for this book are no longer in effect.

(Message edited by admin on October 09, 2007)

By Jeffrey L Watson on Sunday, January 13, 2008 - 02:43 pm: Edit Post

Just an FYI the host of paravia.com moved the domain to a new server over the weekend. Unfortunately they did not update all of the information so that the web could still find paravia.com. So if you tried to access the Chat or the site in the last 24 hours and found it missing, it should be back now. If you get this e-mail and you still can't access paravia.com please try again in about an hour as it takes a little while for changes of this sort to propagate across the web.

Jeff Watson

By Jeffrey L Watson on Thursday, February 07, 2008 - 05:25 pm: Edit Post

I merged the Traitor's Knot discussions into the Arc 3: Alliance of Light topic and renamed several topics to better reflect their content.

By Andrew Ginever on Thursday, February 06, 2020 - 03:41 pm: Edit Post

Thanks to Saffy, Julie and Brian Uri for reporting problems with various parts of the chat.

I've been into the Administration section of the chat and autoregenerated the Topics index, got the software to double-check all the posts against the logs to make sure nothing was missing/corrupt and standardized the auto-archive settings (FYI: all threads with more than 15 messages should now auto-archive, leaving 5 behind - hopefully this will work, and should speed up the page loads too).

No errors were detected. So hopefully, things will work better from now on.

However when I first tried to post this message, I did encounter the exact glitch Brian Uri reported with the Book Nook thread. I know what caused that message now (and how I fixed it to post this message here, since this section is restricted).

I will double-check those settings shortly to make sure they're not causing problems either.

Andrew

By Andrew Ginever on Tuesday, March 24, 2020 - 11:48 pm: Edit Post

No one should worry about making a new thread in Arc 5 to communicate, or be that concerned about whether they're posting something in the "right" place. I can shift stuff around later if I absolutely have to :-).

To anyone having problems posting, always feel free to post new material under Arc 5, even if you have to start a new thread for it.

You can flag issues for my attention if you like (I will check them out - there aren't a lot of things I can try in the admin section to try to fix individual problems but I always check to see if there's a glitch). I do try to check in here every day to make sure things are working and read posts.

Regarding the latest technical issues raised by Brian and Jeff, I've checked the Chat Admin and can't find anything unusual as to why either of you were unable to post elsewhere and were getting error messages.

I was, however, getting some time-outs off the server, and having to double or triple try some of the admin URLs to get a response from the server on the right hand side of the screen. This is unusual. I also got a complete timeout/lost page when trying to post the final version of this message (it has been many many years since I last had this issue, and never as superadmin). Depending on your web browser, you might get a COOKIE HASH error, a timeout, a blank screen, or no response at all.

Unfortunately I can't lift everyone's access rights to moderator or superuser as a solution :-)

My advice to anyone getting a COOKIE HASH error, or any other type of error when trying to post a message anywhere on the chat is to make sure that your username and password are correctly entered and post a very short initial post (worst case you might need to clear your web browser cookies for paravia.com first). The revise your message screens inside the chat seem to have a longer default timeout setting so if you want to write a really long post (like I've just done) or need some time to get your thoughts in order before you push the post button, then that is really the place to do it. It will still time out eventually, but it definitely seems to take longer to do so than in the "Add a Message" box.

Andrew

(Message edited by andrew_ginever on March 25, 2020)

By Andrew Ginever on Wednesday, March 25, 2020 - 01:13 pm: Edit Post

Thanks to Hunter for reminding me that this thread is locked.

If you're trying to post a reply here, it won't work. Only the superuser can make System Announcements.

This should be the only remaining "locked" topic, since we unlocked the Arc 5 topic.

As a registered user, any of you should be able to post everywhere else in the chat.

The chat software works best for active threads.

If the auto-archive feature was turned on for the topics and subthreads, it would archive everything over 15 days old as "dead/inactive" and no one would ever be able to post there again. Since that would destroy the structure of the chat, it has never been turned on (and we have no intention of doing so).

As many of you probably know, over the years there have been plenty of times when the chat has gone more than 15 days without any posts at all. Meaning as far as the software is concerned the whole thing would've been marked as "inactive/dead" a number of times. It's possible the chat code is still using this definition somewhere and that that's what's causing posting problems in various places, or that the inactive subthreads have become too numerous for the software to cope with.

There are a whole lot of legacy issues with the code, which is why https is disabled for the chat area, as an example.

One day we will look to replace the chat with a more modern forum, but I'm not actively looking into this and Janny's busy writing.

The best solution to keeping your favorite threads working properly is to keep posting in them.

Andrew

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password: